Deep water Quay Cobh 30th Dec

Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:42 pm

Managed to nip out yesterday for a quick session after Frank. Thank god because I was going stone mad with cabin fever.

Arrived at the deep water Quay just at the end of the ebb. A guy nearby was just after pulling in a nice whiting.

So I was using what bait I had in the freezer. I set up the pulley rig with big black lug while on a flapper I was fishing pieces of squid on one hook and pieces of razor on the other. Water, as expected was heavily coloured.

Even though the ebb tide was nearly done, the tide run was quite strong and I was having trouble keeping bottom with a 6 oz gripper.

I was getting some interest on the lug but nothing on the razor and squid. One of the bites on lug resulted in a nice perfect looking whiting of about a pound.

I saw the guy nearby pulling in another couple of whiting while I was there but I had no more, even after darkness fell and the tide turned.

At this point I was regretting leaving behind a few mackerel heads I had in the freezer because I would have liked to let one down the Quay wall for a conger.

By now we were into the flood and I was all out of lug. For the craic I decided to throw out a huge big bait comprised of a whole squid stuffed with what razor I had left. I had no interest but when I reeled back in it was almost completely gone so I guess the crab activity was pretty severe.

So in terms of fish landed not the best session, but the blank was beaten and by god it was great to get out in the fresh air

Re: Deep water Quay Cobh 30th Dec

Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:19 pm

A lot of recent reports seem to be more about treating cabin fever with fresh air than getting fish! All that freshwater coming down the Lee probably doesn't help.

Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:41 pm

I don't think the fresh water affects Cobh too badly-not as bad as real estuary marks like Monkstown etc

Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:35 pm

Was in Cobh last year but didnt fish, is the deepwater quay where the cruise liners dock up and whats the ground like here?

Cheers Jonny

Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:10 pm

Yes that's exactly it. Best spot (so I'm told) is the "town" end of the Quay by the railway over bridge. that's where I was. very handy you can be parked and fishing in no time

Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:12 pm

Ground is clean -except for a few snags close in which I reckon are old mooring ropes etc. I learned that to my cost when I didn't get my gripper up in the water reeling in first time.

Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:01 pm

Cheers might give it ago if Im ever in Cobh again, I did get abit of fishing when I was down last year, Bantry airstrip and pier and on the Beara peninsula.

Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:38 pm

Deep water berth would only be a backup winter venue when it's too wild to hit the beaches. Not much happening there outside the winter months.