Galway City 17/12/15

Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:23 pm

Its been a very long time since i did a report here but so few are the sessions at the moment this is well due. It was the 19th of November since I was last out and the cabin fever really setting in. I found myself reading all sorts of rubbish about fishing online, i was buying crap in the tackle shop and knew the time had come to get out. Have been looking for a break in the weather and thought I missed the boat wednesday but thursday looked good on the weather sites.

Had been in on the beach walking the dogs wednesday morning and metre high piles of weed were about the place but little in the water so it looked promising. Very little wind about. As the day progressed the wind picked up slightly but it was on. I was driving in and noticed the van wobblin on the road. The mark less than 20 mins from the house - whats this. arrived and the place was in a gale. White horses all over the shop and a big swell. Thought the wind was going to be SW and id have plenty of shelter at the cliff on the west of beach but it was coming straight southerly.

Said to myself i have to have a cast and at least dispose of some of the 3 times frozen mac and wrap id with me :mrgreen: . Set up which was tough. All the weed made foot holding dangerous. You know yourself, slipping and falling and trying to keep the rod and reel in the upward position - let the body take the hit :lol:

Anyways weed in mid water was running up the line - but no balls of it on the bottom, so it was fishable. 3 casts in - result small flounder at 20cm. Job done and encouragement to keep at it. 2 casts later another 26cm happy days. had done a fair amount of ground baiting with rancid mack and it seemed to be working. Chopped up some more. noticed even a gull trying to get down between the waves for some of it.

Kept at it and about half an hour later a double of a coallie 25 and decent flounder 33cm - which was a bit of craic bringing it in with a bit of weed on board and the swell.

had two more casts and was then happy to head home after 2.5 hrs. A very successful session for this beach. which usually produces only single fish or a blank. you have to be in it to win it :!: :idea:

happy christmas to me :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Galway City 17/12/15

Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:07 pm

Cracking job....good to get out and as ya said.....Happy Christmas to u :D My turns coming......like christmas

Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:56 pm

You're a dab hand at winkling out those flounder Brian.

Happy Christmas

Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:53 am

Nice one brian did the igloo get a test run?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:49 pm

Looks like you beat the odds Corbyeire, if you can manage to get out there are a few fish knocking about.

Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:40 pm

tight lines wrote:Nice one brian did the igloo get a test run?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

alan, there was nothing really to anchor it to so i didnt bother - the stones and the weed werent ideal

ill give it a test run soon enough when im on a clean beach

Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:09 pm

Fair play Brian, sounds like a decent result on your doorstep.

Happy Christmas!

Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:49 am

Niceone Brian,
Im of a bit from work over the Christmas and ill be doing a bit from barna out,nice report and photos to go with it.