Sunday Sunshine

Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:54 am

A break in the weather saw an impromptu session on a local mark - more for the fresh air and for the novelty of wetting a line more than anything else to be honest. So, not expecting too much from this mark that's pretty much what I got.
Despite a consistent set of coming-and-going, unconvincing, little rattles throughout the whole session, 4 fish were caught in total. 4 different species, nothing big.
The wee cod didn't survive the unhooking unfortunately (fragile wee things)a and so was lobed into the air and out to sea. A seagull came down moments later to accept the gift, flying off with a grateful big squawk!
Nice to wet a line, nice to relieve some of the cabin fever of late. I wasn't the only one to make the most of it, there were fishermen coming and going along the shore all day.
A few pics FWIW:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by chuckaroo on Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Sunday Sunshine

Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:37 pm

Good to wet a line anyway Charlie, we're really into the scratching about part of the year now :(

Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:35 pm

Cabin Fever kept at bay far another while and 4 small fish of 4 varieties beats 0 fish of 0 varieties. The other fishermen coming and going all day suggests they weren't getting much either. Did you ever try the raw peeled prawns from the freezers in supermarkets rather than the in-shell ones in your first pic? I think fish would find them more manageable and they can easily be cut to size and whipped to the hook with some bait elastic.

Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:57 pm

We fished the edge of the rocks to your far left on Sun from c6-10pm, HW 7:30pm. Similar results. Couple of 1lb codling but plagued by dogs at times. The whole bay was busy when we were there.

Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:41 am

johnwest wrote:Cabin Fever kept at bay far another while and 4 small fish of 4 varieties beats 0 fish of 0 varieties. The other fishermen coming and going all day suggests they weren't getting much either. Did you ever try the raw peeled prawns from the freezers in supermarkets rather than the in-shell ones in your first pic? I think fish would find them more manageable and they can easily be cut to size and whipped to the hook with some bait elastic.

No I haven't tried the raw peeled frozen JW but I will certainly grab a packet next time I'm in Iceland. lol :) Can imagine that they would be as good a bait as anything
guernica84 wrote:We fished the edge of the rocks to your far left on Sun from c6-10pm, HW 7:30pm. Similar results. Couple of 1lb codling but plagued by dogs at times. The whole bay was busy when we were there.

Hi guernica84. I left the pier at dark, about 5.15pm, there had been 3or4 guys fishing those rocks during the day the same time I was there. I don't know if they would have still been there when you arrived but they were certainly still there when I left. I noticed them pull in a few dogs and what I thought were small flats, pretty much the same results with them too then I guess.
Would be nice if a few decent cod (decent for that area meaning 2-3lb) moved in soon. A good chuck might find a few better fish off those rocks as I've seen it done before at this time of year..
Will maybe bump into you as some stage.. :)

Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:33 pm

Hoping to get up around there tomorrow , we're over due some better cod :roll:

Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:49 pm

Well done, always nice to get out. Not many breaks in weather lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:01 am

family guy wrote:Hoping to get up around there tomorrow , we're over due some better cod :roll:

Did you get out family guy....?

Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:10 pm

chuckaroo wrote:
family guy wrote:Hoping to get up around there tomorrow , we're over due some better cod :roll:

Did you get out family guy....?

Was on your wee spot last night chuck :D f***king foundered :shock: half dozen dogs ,couple decent flounder ,few small Codling , headed before high tide :? Over the hills dodgey roads on the way home :!:

Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:13 pm

family guy wrote:Was on your wee spot last night chuck :D f***king foundered :shock: half dozen dogs ,couple decent flounder ,few small Codling , headed before high tide :? Over the hills dodgey roads on the way home :!:

Fair play family guy. Something at least for your brave efforts.
Hope to get a chuck tomorrow again myself. Will try somewhere different..

Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 pm

chuckaroo wrote:
family guy wrote:Was on your wee spot last night chuck :D f***king foundered :shock: half dozen dogs ,couple decent flounder ,few small Codling , headed before high tide :? Over the hills dodgey roads on the way home :!:

Fair play family guy. Something at least for your brave efforts.
Hope to get a chuck tomorrow again myself. Will try somewhere different..
did you get out :?:

Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:24 pm

did. went to Ballycastle beach and fished near the big rock.
actually tried 3 different spots along the beach, at distance and close-in at all spots.
with rolling leads i covered a lot of ground... with one tiny flounder to show for it. was hoping for a miracle bass, or a turbot, didn't get either.
used lug wrap tipped with frozen mack.
i was the only fisherman on that beach all day - the others must know of how poorly it can fish. lol.
plenty of people stopping for a "have you caught anything?" chat though..
nice to get out but there were no fish about! headed just in time before the forecast rain arrived
wont get a chance now until maybe the xmas holidays... let see :)

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:25 am

chuckaroo wrote:did. went to Ballycastle beach and fished near the big rock.
actually tried 3 different spots along the beach, at distance and close-in at all spots.
with rolling leads i covered a lot of ground... with one tiny flounder to show for it. was hoping for a miracle bass, or a turbot, didn't get either.
used lug wrap tipped with frozen mack.
i was the only fisherman on that beach all day - the others must know of how poorly it can fish. lol.
plenty of people stopping for a "have you caught anything?" chat though..
nice to get out but there were no fish about! headed just in time before the forecast rain arrived
wont get a chance now until maybe the xmas holidays... let see :)
that was the spot I was hoping to hit over Xmas might give it a miss now :roll: , can remember fishing there regular during the summer months in the early 90,s not really knowing what we were doing but turbot and decent pollack were caught regularly ,amazing how bad its got . about 20 years ago my ma and da rented the wee cottage to the right of the rocks ,we had some craic with the wrasse some up to 4 1/2 lbs , though the younger cousin and his mates spun the rocks in august last using jellies and were averaging pollack of 3lb with one weighing 6lb so alls not lost :)