Donegal and Sligo, 2nd/3rd December 2015

Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:45 am

Tuesday. With the recent weather, it has been a matter of watching the forecast for a half chance and going for it; Tuesday and Wednesday seemed to be this week’s best shot. Tuesday was really pushing it a bit as the forecast threatened gale force winds on Atlantic coasts but with a southerly direction, somewhere on the south of the bay might be possible. I checked a couple of beaches, the first was sheltered enough but the water was full of weed and there was plenty more on the strand waiting for the incoming tide to lift. The second beach had a nice enough surf but a ferocious wind was blowing along it carrying clouds of sand. My reels aren’t exactly immaculate but they don’t need sandblasted either and images of tripods blowing over, boxes rolling along the beach etc. had me looking elsewhere. Eventually I found somewhere with the wind at my back and weed-free and set up just one rod. 15mins into the first cast and a definite bite, even with the rod tip bouncing about, resulted in a dogfish. Second cast produced what I feared might be the first of a plague of small coalies, in fact it was the only one of the night as bites died completely. 3 hours later with strengthening winds and increasing swell, I reeled in to find a second doggie on, one of those that takes the bait and just sits there with it. Hometime.

Wednesday. This morning was a lot cooler but with much lighter winds. First couple of possible marks had too much surf but like yesterday, 3rd time lucky. Walking down to the beach, I came across a washed up tangle/gill net, that won’t reduce the stocks any more. I set up both rods this time, one cast out at distance and the other in the suds. The lighter flattie rod registered the first bite which turned out to be a nice plump flounder and at 35cm, 1lb 1oz, my best this year (so far!). Another 7 flounder followed including one at 30cm and one double with a 22cm turbot for variety. All but one of the fish were in close and took mackerel strip. As darkness came, the first of a string of small coalies also arrived. I don’t know whether the flatties stopped feeding or the coalies beat them to the baits but no more flatties showed up in the next hour so I called it a day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Donegal and Sligo, 2nd/3rd December 2015

Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:18 pm

Fair play JW. Sitting at home here getting cabin fever.. Hoping to get out in Sunday
Would settle for a couple of your flounder there! Nice pics

Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:54 pm

Nicely done JW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:47 pm

Hi John,

Myself and some buddies hit Donegal at least once a year and we're really keen to try new beach marks- have you any advice on locations in south Donegal or Sligo, what times to fish at and any bait preferences...? Any advice greatly appreciated! Thanks

Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:09 pm

Nice flatties there J.W , well done :wink:

Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:51 pm

What beaches have you fished already. Tullan strand in Bundoran has good fishing and rossnowlagh fishes well too. There is a beach behind cliffoney that produces a lot of trout in spring

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:43 pm

[quote="keymcg"]What beaches have you fished already. Tullan strand in Bundoran has good fishing and rossnowlagh fishes well too. There is a beach behind cliffoney that produces a lot of trout in spring

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk[/quote

Thanks John,

We mostly fish from st johns point area out, so the gunwell, the two beaches on mucross, silver strand and a few in between that I wont mention! We'd really like to find some turbot! Trout sound great too though, thanks!

Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:21 am

ninted wrote:Hi John,

Myself and some buddies hit Donegal at least once a year and we're really keen to try new beach marks- have you any advice on locations in south Donegal or Sligo, what times to fish at and any bait preferences...? Any advice greatly appreciated! Thanks

pm sent!