Tide : Incoming, 3.6m , high tide approx 22.30

Wind: very light westerly, almost calm

Weather, dry, cloudy. Very pleasant

Sea: Calm, with very small breakers close in

Weed situation: No Weed

Rigs: 4/0 Pully Pennels on larger rod, Size 1 Flappers on light rod

Baits: Black lug, crab on pulley. Mackerel and razor strips on flapper

Results: 2 Dogfish

First session after the succession of storms that we had the previous week. Set up my newly acquired multiplier rod with a pennel rig baited with black lug.
Seeing as this was the first time using my multiplier reel in the dark, and could not see when the lead hit the water, you all know what happened next . . .

Once I had the birdsnest cleared up, I recast and got setting up the second rod.

This one I baited a flapper rig with size 1 hooks with razor strips and mackerel. Normally I would go squid strips and mackerel but went for razor because I reckoned there could be a lot of damaged or broken razors around after the storm that might be easy food. Lobbed this rod out about 30 or 40 yards.

All quiet for a while when the flapper rod did the familiar nod nod and then not much. Reeled in the first dog of the evening. Took mackerel

The large rod had seen no action on lug so switched over to crab. This was not long out before I got a good series of strong rattles, definitely not the gentle nod of the dog. Reeled in - bait pretty much gone, no fish.

Was just about to start reeling in what turned out to be another dog on the light rod when again I got the big rattling bite on the larger rod. I left down the dog to see what what was on the other rod. Same story bait chewed up but no hook up. I checked that my hook points were sharp and exposed -they were.

The second dog I reeled in had swallowed the bait and was very tough to unhook - I really need to get a disgorger.

That was it for the night. Truth be told disappointing enough, I had high hopes of landing a cod or at least a few whiting. But not a blank at least!

For this message the author shortcircuit has received thanks: 3
basilrabbit (Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:12 pm), donal domeney (Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:05 pm), Sweetwrasse (Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:56 pm)
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Re: Garryvoe 19-Nov-15

Postby highwatermark » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:42 pm

Nice report n nice night by all accounts. Any night out is good, a night with any fish better still and ur just getting warmed up for mr cod anyway....wont be long now.....

For this message the author highwatermark has received thanks:
shortcircuit (Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:39 pm)
highwatermark
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby johnwest » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:51 pm

Good report shortcircuit and blank avoided! As for the multiplier in the dark, it's more a question of listening to the reel rather than seeing the splashdown. When you hear the reel start to slow down, light feathering of the spool with your thumb can help prevent /reduce birdsnests while you build up confidence. I've read a couple of reports recently involving good bites resulting in well chewed baits but no hook-ups, you are not alone!
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1299 times

Postby shortcircuit » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:47 pm

johnwest wrote:Good report shortcircuit and blank avoided! As for the multiplier in the dark, it's more a question of listening to the reel rather than seeing the splashdown. When you hear the reel start to slow down, light feathering of the spool with your thumb can help prevent /reduce birdsnests while you build up confidence. I've read a couple of reports recently involving good bites resulting in well chewed baits but no hook-ups, you are not alone!

Thanks for the advice johnwest and the bit of consolation about the missed bites.

As regards the birdies, you nearly have to telepathically figure out when the lead is going to hit the water and feather the spool then. I would be afraid of going to early and killing the cast.

Am I right in thinking that when you are using a grip lead, the fish is either going to hook themselves against the weight of the gripper or not - breaking out the weight and reeling in isn't going to improve the hook up ?
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Postby guernica84 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:04 am

I was on it 21st with similarly poor results (Ballinwilling). Had very little to show for my few days, fished numerous marks on the estuary as well. 2 takable cod and a right few nice flounder was it. Still a wonderful place to pass the time all the same! Lost what I'm fairly sure was a big bass on some mooring ropes in the river but sure I'll
never know.
2013 species (23 shore): flounder, plaice, turbot, dab, coalfish, pollock, codling, mackerel, cuttlefish, silver eel, pouting, 3b & 5b rockling, white trout, salmon, whiting, LSD, ballan, corkwing & goldsinney wrasse, thornback & spotted ray, red gurnard, lesser weever, LSSS
2014 shore (27): flounder, plaice, turbot, dab, coalfish, pollock, codling, mackerel, silver eel, pouting, 5b rockling, whiting, LSD, GSD, tope, smoothhound, ballan&corkwing wrasse, thornback & painted ray, tub gurnard, bass, common blenny, rock goby, haddock, LSSS, poor cod
2015 shore (37): cod, flounder, pollack, coalfish, poor cod, 5 bd rockling, shore rockling, whiting, LSD, plaice, dab, thornback ray, undulate ray, stingray, garfish, conger, ballan wrasse, corkwing wrasse, rock-cook wrasse, goldsinney wrasse, tub gurnard, common & tompot blenny, rock goby, pout, greater sandeel, mackerel, smoothhound, turbot, haddock, scad, red mullet, black bream, silver eel, bass, lesser weever, lsss
guernica84
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 99 times

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports