Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

clew bay night session

Postby joe the junior » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:12 pm

Fishing from 5-8.30
Low tide 19.30
Bait= Mackerel strips
Results= Turbot, flounder,whiting,coilies,doggys
Got back from college and switched from schoolgear to fishing gear! the tide was dropping and i wasnt delaying!
reached the beach to find a small surf with rough seas, strange but looked promising!
first two casts produced nothing and i had to run back up to the car for my headlamp :roll: on return was the promising tap tap of a flattie, a wee turbot of 19cm! blank saved anyways.
next cast produced a chunky flounder of 27cm put up a nice little scrap , suprisingly enough haha, using light gear with a 2oz weight you can really feel the vibrations.
A heavy fog was dropping over the bay, misting out the town and the other side of the bay
then the coilies turned up, got three of these with the biggest one 29cm , not a bad sized one i thought to myself.
the doggys started hitting then for awile got five with a small whiting amongst them
happy enough with my evenings fishing, got afew fish and diffrent species , what more could i ask for? a bass perhaps :lol:
Joe Chambers
2017 (35 species)

2018 species: whiting, coalie, flounder, turbot, plaice, dab, sea trout, thornback ray, dogfish, sandeel, Launce, Mackerel, Pollack , Bullhuss, corkwing wrasse, ballen wrasse, rock cook wrasse,Cuckoo wrasse, grey gunard,tub gunard,Red Gunard, weever fish, 3 bearded rockling, Five bearded rockling, ling, common blenny , rock goby, conger, Pouting,silver eel, scorpion fish, scad, poor cod, mayo bass (35 species)

2019 Flounder, Dab, Turbot, Plaice, Pollack, Coalie, Pouting, Whiting, Codling, 3 bearded rockling, Sea Trout, Dogfish, Bullhuss, black goby, rock goby, corkwing wrasse,Ballen Wrasse, cuckcoo Wrasse, Conger Eel, Shore Rockling, Long Spined Sea Scorpion, Lesser weever, common blenny, tompot blenny, bass, twaite shad, smoothhound, Dragonet, Silver Eel, Tub Gunard, Red Gunard, Gray Gunard,scad, thornback ray, poor cod

For this message the author joe the junior has received thanks: 2
corbyeire (Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:22 pm), Moody Marlin (Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:53 am)
joe the junior
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 90 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: clew bay night session

Postby Michael+C » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:40 pm

Well done Joe, nice little session, good to see the different species caught with mackerel bait.

For this message the author Michael+C has received thanks:
joe the junior (Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:10 pm)
Michael+C
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 8 times

Postby seank » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:21 pm

Nice number of species well done.

The seaweed has gotten the better of me on the two beaches I fished the last week. Was there any about last night Joe?
Target for 2017: Tope, Bass, Specimen shore pollack, Specimen Sea trout, Turbot over 30cm, common skate
seank
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Postby joe the junior » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:14 pm

seank wrote:Nice number of species well done.

The seaweed has gotten the better of me on the two beaches I fished the last week. Was there any about last night Joe?

no actually not a bit, beach looked clean when i arrived too, looked at the main beach as well but wanted to try the first one cause i have'nt fished it in a long time. mainly resident fish at the moment but they should be getting quite big
Joe Chambers
2017 (35 species)

2018 species: whiting, coalie, flounder, turbot, plaice, dab, sea trout, thornback ray, dogfish, sandeel, Launce, Mackerel, Pollack , Bullhuss, corkwing wrasse, ballen wrasse, rock cook wrasse,Cuckoo wrasse, grey gunard,tub gunard,Red Gunard, weever fish, 3 bearded rockling, Five bearded rockling, ling, common blenny , rock goby, conger, Pouting,silver eel, scorpion fish, scad, poor cod, mayo bass (35 species)

2019 Flounder, Dab, Turbot, Plaice, Pollack, Coalie, Pouting, Whiting, Codling, 3 bearded rockling, Sea Trout, Dogfish, Bullhuss, black goby, rock goby, corkwing wrasse,Ballen Wrasse, cuckcoo Wrasse, Conger Eel, Shore Rockling, Long Spined Sea Scorpion, Lesser weever, common blenny, tompot blenny, bass, twaite shad, smoothhound, Dragonet, Silver Eel, Tub Gunard, Red Gunard, Gray Gunard,scad, thornback ray, poor cod
joe the junior
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 90 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby seank » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:10 pm

joe the junior wrote:
seank wrote:Nice number of species well done.

no actually not a bit, beach looked clean when i arrived too, looked at the main beach as well but wanted to try the first one cause i have'nt fished it in a long time. mainly resident fish at the moment but they should be getting quite big

It was the main beach I fished and it looked clean, but far from it snapped a tip on one of the rods.

Fished the pier there this eve plenty of pin coalies, and whiting. And a few dogs.
Target for 2017: Tope, Bass, Specimen shore pollack, Specimen Sea trout, Turbot over 30cm, common skate
seank
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Postby kieran » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:31 am

Nice session Joe

I walked Bertra yesterday evening and the beach has been hammered by the seas already. Big grooves and sways up near the HW mark. There was tons of seaweed (kelp)uncovered and a flock of seagulls and dunlin were feasting on the seaweed fly maggots - incredible numbers of them. Might be worth a visit at high water into darkness. Council are building a new car park and access road near cockle strand...
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby the weasel » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:17 am

Fairplay nice session welldone.
John Ainsworth.

Give a man a fish and you feed him
Teach a man to fish and he,ll be late for dinner.

2013 Species Conger,Codling,Coalie,3 B Rockling,Bullhuss,Whitting,Pollack,Flounder.
2014 Species
2015 Species.
the weasel
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 84 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports