greystones picking up.

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

greystones picking up.

Postby m.b3 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:01 pm

fished greystones on sat. hoping to catch a plaice or two. had 2 plaice, 1 flounder and a dab. all fish fell to my 'flashy' wishbone. tried other clear rigs of different designs to no avail. baits used were decent cocktail baits of cockle and mussel tipped with rag and sandeel. outfished the 2 guys beside me who had one fish between them (they know who they are). successful day, not bad for march. i tried different distances and even a swimfeeder but found 100+ casts to be best.
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby m.b3 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:26 pm

forgot to mention.......plaice both 11 1/2 " , flounder 11 " and dab of 9.
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Dave.Haddock » Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:04 pm

Fair play m.b3. Where's the best place to source mussel for bait at the moment?
thanks
Dave.Haddock

mussel

Postby m.b3 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:33 pm

i usually get mine around the Bull Wall, either at the landside of the bridge(near the water) or at the yacht club ramp in clontarf (to the left of the ramp). the problem is that they are not very big. they do the job though(30 is enough for a session if using with other baits), just pick the larger ones.. i have to make do because of lack of transport........i heard the mussel beds nearer sutton are better, mussel are bigger, but have no other knowledge about them. wash them in sea water before u bring them home to get rid of the mud otherwise things get messy. put them in a bait bucket and pour bioling hot water over them. this opens the shells. drain out water and u can open them with your hands. personally i put the shelled mussels back into the empty bait bucket and leave them in the air for a while. sprinkling a little salt on them toughens them up aswell. look at the 'skewered mussel' in the tips section. it dosen't take as long as u think, no more than half an hour, and makes fishing time more enjoyable. best of luck. Mark.
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Dave.Haddock » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:07 pm

Great, Thanks Mark. Hoping to get some fishing in over the weekend and reckoned fresh mussel would be an advantage. Have found it hard to locate decent supplies. Cheers. Dave H.
Dave.Haddock

Postby Wes » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:31 pm

Hi Dave/Mb3, Donabate beach has some huge mussels. From the beach itself, wait til the tide is out and walk around to the left.....there you'll see a long concrete pipe, in fact you cant see the pipe for the mussels. No shortage at all.
Wes

"A bad days fishing is better than a good days work"
Wes
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby m.b3 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:22 pm

i know the place Wes but to be honest it takes a long enough time to get to Dollymount from where i live....i will be doing some bass fishing here in the autumn, i suppose i could pick some up. it would be nice to go home with more bait than you went fishing with..... that was interesting stuff about the smoothies from around howth. maybe we should get a possy together over the summer to target them!
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Dave.Haddock » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:33 am

Thanks Wes. That'll beat the Tesco farmed jobs.
Dave.Haddock

Postby Wes » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:04 am

No prob lads. Should put a post up mid summer Mb3, invade Howth! :lol:
Wes

"A bad days fishing is better than a good days work"
Wes
SAI Sea Dog!

Mussels

Postby Steve O'Hanlon » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:18 am

You can put me on the Howth Smoothie list! (still a bit sceptical though!)

Why not just buy frozen mussels in the tackle shop? They're about 3.50 a pop, but there are plenty in each pack.

I think certain baits like mussel and razorfish fish better having been frozen, it seems to concentrate the juices and gives a better scent trail.
Steve O'Hanlon

Postby jfkireland » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:21 pm

And you can stick me down for the Howth Smoothie list aswell..... worth a try.......
JFK
jfkireland
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 4 times

mussel

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:56 pm

There are plentiful mussel around Dublin - Baldoyle, Red Rock and Sandymount have big beds. Theres plenty for everyone as long as people only take what they need. There were problems a few years back when boat anglers were taking bucket loads to practice "smashing", that is breaking the shell of the mussel and tossing it over your shoulder as the boat drifted. It was considered a good groundbaiting technique for codling and coalies. Unfortuantely, in order to maximise, anglers thaought they needed more and more bait. Each individual angler could use 500-1000 mussel per competition. I think that it was banned in several clubs. Now that we have very few codling and coalies around, the mussel beds have replenished.

Mussell

Postby George » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:09 pm

Some huge Mussells are to be found at the estuary at sutton. During extreme low tide walk down the steps on the cycle track oppisite the dinghy supplies shop. Before you reach the channel you will come across some huge mussell beds. The mussells are about four inches across and you could fill a bucket in a few minutes. What's this about the Howth Smoothie list?
George
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby m.b3 » Mon May 03, 2004 1:14 am

i will post a report on Greystones later today....i'm too knackered, all fished out...
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports