Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:48 pm

People Me and the son

Duration: 2hrs

Tide: On the Flood

Weather Glorious

Bait: Rag

Rigs 3 Hook Flapper

Results: 1 x Plaice, 4 x Flounder

Took the family down to a friends house in Clonmanny just outside Ballyliffin for the weekend. Had a half pound of rag left over from during the week, so the rods came too. Headed down to Lennan Pier with the son around midday the tide was just on the flood, weather was glorious. Local came down and was telling me that approx 100yards of the end of the pier is a massive crevice that the dredging boats dredged out last summer in order to put stantions in to extend the harbour. He tells me it is seriously deep water. The crevice is marked by a number of buoys which is in easy range. First cast landed a 3 hook flapper right in the middle of the crevice and within 10mins i landed a cracking flounder measuring approx 47cm. Next cast landed a plaice around 28cm. The local guy landed a cracking place over 30cm he caught his on squid. Over the next 1hr i landed 3 further flounder all around 23cm.

This local was telling me of other fishing marks around Clonmanny which is good for pollack on the float and from the size he was telling me there is some big fish to be caught. The nearest tackle shop to get rag is in Londonderry or Letterkenny so if your heading down make sure you have the bait sorted out.

Definately worth a go...Its only 1hr 45mins from Belfast.

Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:55 pm

Nice one Simpo - sounds like a good spot.

We are heading to Kinnego soon - on the Donegal side of thr Foyle Estuary - I'm looking forward to it.

GG

Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:56 pm

simpo,just wondering if you heard any reports as to how ballyliffin beach itself is fishing lately while you were down?

Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:07 pm

Sorry Big Phil didnt hear a thing about Ballyliffin beach itself. The local i was speaking to at the Pier was telling me of another mark outside Clonmanny. I cant remember the name of the actual mark but gave me good directions to it. The mark itself is given away by a massive rock with a large hole in it big enought to climb through. He was telling me during the summer they were deep spinning sandeels there and catching pollock as big as, as he described it, from his waist to the floor. Now thats good fish. He told me he was there on Saturday 28/1/06 and had a great day fishing loads of pollack around 3lb and plenty of codling around 27-30cm.

Good luck where ever you end up. And if your looking for food try the Rusty Nail in Clonmanny.......awesome......

Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:38 pm

Any chance of those directions........... :D