Portsalon, Co Donegal. Sun Jan 15, 2006

Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:40 pm

People: Myselfand about 10 others of the LSSAC

Duration: 15:00 - 20:00

Tide: Low+2hrs, up over high

Weather: Breezy, otherwise ok. Mild SSW wind.

Bait: Sandeel, Mackerel, Lug, Squid

Rigs: 2 & 3 hook flappers

Results: Not a lot of anything

Report: Looked like a good day for it weather-wise, nice sea running. Was a bit dubious about starting a comp in the full run of tide, which usually kills sport on this beach, but consoled myself with the fact that the tide should start to ease at dark, coinciding nicely with moonrise.
I must have neglected to slaughter some chickens, or perhaps a goat, for, while pestered with nibbles, nothing really bit down. Cursed again.

Results along the beach were similarly poor for a few others and a lot of what was caught was below counting size.

As far as I could make out there were no counting flatties and best catches were low 20s coley and whiting, with I think 4 being the top bag.

So a bit of a change from last Saturday's form. Darned if I know where all the flatties went. Seems to be plenty of rounds there, they're all just to small to grab a hook. Until they're all grown up, I think a change of venue is in order. Next meet in 2 weeks. Culdaff, Sunday Jan 29, 2006, 12:00. Meeting at Kernan's 11:00.

Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:45 pm

Sandman, I think I had the only counting flounder at 24cm on the last cast at 10 to 8!! I also had two coalies at 23cm, that was it.

Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:20 pm

70cm isn't to be sneezed at on Portsalon most days. What bugs me is I can catch plenty any day there isn't a competition.

With only one counting flattie (there were a few undersize) for the whole club for a match of that length with 11 (I think) rods in the water, you did well.

It'll be interesting to see if we do any better on the next venue next Sunday.

If it gets any worse, I'm considering just taking a stove and cooking and eating my bait. A beach barbecue beats a blank. :lol:

Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:18 am

When is the next competition lads?

I read on advert for the last one in the Letterkenny Post (I think...) when I was visiting relatives near Raphoe. I note it mentioned any new faces are more than welcome. Is the Letterkenny Post in any way assocciated with the Donegal Democrat? if not, it may be worth putting a notice in with them (and even the Derry Journal for people like myself.)

I'm sure you'll get more rods joining in.

Is there another comp. this Sunday? 29th Jan? Mite take wee wee nosey up just to see what the craic is...

Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:06 am

Irish_Shamrock wrote:When is the next competition lads?

I read on advert for the last one in the Letterkenny Post (I think...) when I was visiting relatives near Raphoe. I note it mentioned any new faces are more than welcome. Is the Letterkenny Post in any way assocciated with the Donegal Democrat? if not, it may be worth putting a notice in with them (and even the Derry Journal for people like myself.)

I'm sure you'll get more rods joining in.

Is there another comp. this Sunday? 29th Jan? Mite take wee wee nosey up just to see what the craic is...

Fished this area with bogaloo yesturday on the boat just of the beach and guess wat not a lot of anything

Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:40 am

Irish_Shamrock,

Next meet is Jan 29th, 2006, Culdaff beach. Lines in at 12:00 - 17:00. We're meeting at Kernan's Service station and diner in Newtoncunningham at 11:00. New faces always welcome. Hope to see you there.

Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:52 pm

Sandman wrote:Irish_Shamrock,

Next meet is Jan 29th, 2006, Culdaff beach. Lines in at 12:00 - 17:00. We're meeting at Kernan's Service station and diner in Newtoncunningham at 11:00. New faces always welcome. Hope to see you there.

Wud love to mate another time though got a lot on this wkend going to northern meet tonight...keep me posted though