benone sunday 8th january 06

Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:25 pm

People:me and about 75 others

Duration:12 - 5pm

Tide:high around 2.30

Weather:fairly calm and cold with only a few small tables of surf

Bait:mostly rag lug mackerel

Rigs:mostly 3 hook flappers

Results:ulster open gold medal and joe mullan memorial trophy won by eddie smyth of glengormley and district sac with i think 3 good counting fish
gareth bell of carrick beach and rockers sac won the u21's gold medal
warren brown of culdaff sac won the under 16 gold medal

Report:fishing wasnt great overall, a lot of singles, some doubles, a few with 3 or 4.
all fish caught were flounder and turbot.
Last edited by BigPhil on Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:04 pm

Hi Phil,

I didn't get on the board mate - just a 10cm Flounder!!

I enjoyed the day all the same.

See WSF for more.

GG

Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:32 pm

HI GAVIN.
Thanks for the ''GOOD ON YAA!! - AND YELLS OF SUPPORT''
When i went up to collect my prize!!
Glengormley+ District- S.A.C. RULES!!
You have joined the best club in the land. lol :lol:

Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:09 pm

No Probs mate.

I was just well happy that one of the GADSAC boys won it :D :D :D

We are well impressed with the club anad are looking forward to the year ahead - can't wait to hit St. Johns in July.

Well done again mate - you done very well against a very experienced field of anglers.

See you at the Waterfoot Comp - I need to get some points on the board :? :?

GG

Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:16 pm

well done!,
although it didnt take many fish to win it they werent exactly easy to come by! ps..experience normally counts for nothing on benone ...its a pure lottery most days! :lol:

Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:02 am

Kissafish your bait has just went up to 10 Quid a pound :lol:

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:14 am

i thought that was the price anyway graham.??????

Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:37 pm

I hope that i didn't upset anyone by saying that Glengormley+District s.a.c Rule, Or that it is the best club in the land. It was just a bit of Banter :lol: There are some Very good clubs out there with some of the very finest anglers in Ireland.
As for Benone competitions being a lottery. I was told that the fish follow the tide around from Magilligan, So the best pegs are from 1 to 20 pick any peg over 20 and you may as well go home but pick peg 1 and you are the hot favorite.
I was on peg 74 so my fish must have swam past 73 anglers to reach my bait.
I put a lot of effort into winning on sunday. I tried at least half a dozen different rigs-bait combinations and tactics until i found the right one, all the fish fell for just one type of rig + setup they wouldn't touch anything else. (Most anglers around me blanked) So i think that maybe luck played its part but i would also like to think that a bit of my angling skills were also involved. :wink: (Plus Grahams quality ragworm :D )
Last edited by kissafish on Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:03 pm

for the last while its been the pegs to the right of the concrete towards the umbra pickin up the most fish, i would dispell the theory of 1-20 being the hot ones!!
if the fish are there in front of you, most of the time they will take whatever you throw at them on benone but sometimes you do haveto work really hard til u get it right as to what they are taking and sometimes even then you still wont get too many!
was it just me or did anyone else think the fishing was improving towards the end of the comp?

Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:40 am

I pegged the beach arse about face kissafish so really you were on peg 8 :lol:

Re: benone sunday 8th january 06

Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:44 am

kissafish wrote: I tried at least half a dozen different rigs-bait combinations and tactics until i found the right one, all the fish fell for just one type of rig + setup they wouldn't touch anything else. (Most anglers around me blanked) So i think that maybe luck played its part

dosen't sound like luck to me?! fair play to ye.

Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:48 pm

Eddie mate - I'll be standing beside you at the next comp :lol:

You played a great game - You have the trophy and cheque to prove it!!

I notice you didn't tell us what rig/bait combo worked :wink: :wink:

Guess I'll have to work it out myself :D

GG

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:53 am

Im going to have a look at the till receipts to see what he bought on Friday failing that i will just ask Johnny

Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:29 pm

Make sure to post your findings Graham.....

Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:34 pm

checked out the receipts and spoke to johnney in fact he showed what was got but with customer confidentiality and all that i cant post my findings but be sure if you fish the ulster bass open i'll be using it 8)

Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:27 am

Drat!!!!!!

Where is the love codfather? :P :P

GG