Portsalon (extreme south end) Co Donegal. Sat Jan 07, 2006

Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:59 am

[b]People: Myself and Sandman

[b]Duration: 4.5 hrs

[b]Tide:High water down

[b]Weather: Cold and dry with a good surf running

[b]Bait: Squid, mackerel, sand eel, black lug, rag worm.

[b]Rigs: Simple 2 and 3 hook paternoster rigs mostly.

[b]Results: 1 plaice, 10 flounder and 1 idiot surfer........

[b]Report: Had to leave just as things were picking up but a good day apart from the intellectually challenged "surfers" who insisted for a while in surfing into our lines, fortunately braid is stronger than flesh. I'll leave it open to Sandman to continue the rant.........

Sandeel and mackerel were the only baits working. Squid, rag and black lug, even in cocktails with mackerel and sandeel went untouched. Would have got a lot more fish without the surfers walking all over the ground and if we'd been able to stay into darkness. While fishing didn't die completely in the middle of the tide, it did drop off a lot.

Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:46 pm

surfers can be a real pain sometimes! the only way i do it is if they are there first, i go out of their way,
if im there first, i ask them to stay out of my way or they may get hurt by 6oz of lead plus 3 hooks travelling towards them at speed!! - it usually does the trick but you always get some who push their luck!
but hey....sometimes they find out the scary way!
its only common courtesy afterall, none of us own the coastline so it is there to be shared andone must respect the other and give each other space to carry on with and enjoy their own sport/hobby.
used to have a similar problem on benone with jet skiers but now (like today) when they arrive they go out of the way of the competitions.

Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:00 pm

I agree Phil best way to sort surfers and divers out is with 6oz leads. They normally see sense and move somewhere else. :lol: :lol:

diving/fishing

Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:44 am

hey guys,
just wanted to reply to tuna hunter.as a diver as well as an angler we always do our best to steer clear of anyone who might be fishing,we REALLY dont want to be getting hokkai's for earrings!but sometimes currents or bad luck can carry us into an anglers path.if this happens we move as quick as possible,but we cant move at all if someone is aiming for us with 6 oz leads.as big phil said,noone owns the coast,its there for all of us so can we not try to be tolerant of each other?

Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:26 am

Anyone with a titter of wit would not deliberately and knowingly place themselves in the path of 6oz gripleads and 3 hook flappers.

For the record, LSD and I were on the beach long before the surfers turned up. The first two, with their pair of doggies, were kind enough to stay well clear. Having seen me cast does that to most people.

The next shower of 5 made it their business to get right in front of us. I have a nice pic of two of them, neatly framed between my two rods. I missed one of them with a cast by about 9 feet.

They did feck off eventually, but not before they had wrecked my fishing. For the record, I will not be trying not to hit any that stray into my zone. That's always been my policy, and it's not up for review.

Amusingly, not one of them could actually stay up on a board.

I must make a large colour print of that x-ray of yer man that got a lead stuck in his skull, laminate it and stick it to the back of my seat box. Just as a wee hint.

Meanwhile, back on the subject of fishing, one of the flatties that LSD hauled in had upwards of a dozen small sea lice of the type you normally see on salmon and sea trout on it. I guess that's down to the fish farm a mile or so down the coast. First time I've seen them infest other fish. Anyone else seen that?
Last edited by x on Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:38 am

Come across it numerous times now, flounders especially although I've caught pollock and particularly wrasse with lice on them too. Counted 15 to 20 individuals on some fish. If I remember correctly the lice species which naturally occur on whitefish is a different species to that which is parasitic on salmon, so there would be no link between them and the cages.

Pete

fishing/diving

Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:57 am

Well,sandman,thats fair enough.You guys were there first.The surfers really should have more cop on than that.I'd have very little sympathy for them if they did get clocked with a lump of lead.Its just common courtesy,im sure the beach is big enough for them to have moved.What can you do?

Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:15 pm

Oh, I think if I sacrificed a little force for accuracy, my aim would be better. And I'd improve my hookup rate by using trebles. :lol:

Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:24 pm

note to self:dont upset sandman!!!!! :wink: