Ballscadden Beach, Howth, Report

Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:23 pm

Ballscadden Beach, Howth, Sunday 21st March 2004, 11.00am-5.00pm Bait: Mackeral, Mussell, Ragworm.
The Gale force winds meant we couldn't fish the rocks so we headed to the small beach just before ballscadden rocks. We began fishing just before high tide. I lost five sets of gear and we all ended up blanking without a nibble. As we were packing up I noticed I had been casting directly on to a massive kelp bed and one of my mates noticed a few fish jump :x. But we managed to find a good bit of gear tangled up in it. If you are looking for some general bottom fishing you are better off heading for the rocks(especially Split Rock) but I am going to try here for Mullet in the summer.

Balscadden Beach

Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:31 pm

Hi George

Believe it or not, Bass have been taken off that beach along with some flatfish, mostly Flounder and the odd Dab. Can throw up Whiting and Codling in the winter with Pollack and Mackerel in the summer... with Wrasse possible also, although ideally on the float. The trick is to cast near the rocks and kelp but not onto them unless you are using 1-hook rotten bottom rigs and have loads of junk leads with you. Long time since I fished there, again because it would have been suicide on the rocks but it is a nice haven and very sheltered from everything except an easterly.

Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:03 pm

I was talking to some guys who have been swimming there for years and they have never seen anything caught from it. The rocks to the left jut out quite far and they look like a good place to try for bass but you would want to watch the tide behind you.