The Slate near Ballyhornan, Co Down Dec 05

Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:12 pm

Me myself and i.

Sand eel

12Ft spinning rod

1Oz ball weight hook length.

2 Pollock 2lb

Heard of this spot called the slate near ballyhornan. Happened to be in the area and brought a couple of packets of sand eel as i heard there is big pollock to be caught. Not sure if i found the right spot or not. Hopefully someone will put me right. Drove out of ardglass past st john's well til the end of the muddy lane, a kind lady let me park the car in her driveway, and from here i headed off on foot for approx 20min till i could find some flat rocks. Fished 2hrs before high tide. 2 Pollock around 2lb. Still not convinced its the right spot as these rocks were treacherous.

Spoke to two old men at ardglass harbour told me round at the golf club was just as good. Anyone every tried.

SLATE

Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:55 am

I have fished the slate at Ballyhornan on many occassions but only in the summer/autumn it is an extremely dangerous mark you are striaght into very deep water here and I would'nt risk it alone at anytime. It involves a climb and can be recognised by the fact that it appears as a large rock which someone has splashed paint on it. I approach it from Ballyhornan on foot along lecale way it takes approx. 25 mins to reach. Fishing in summer can be very good with Pollack up to 4ILBS, plenty of coalies 1-2 Ilb bracket, Mackerel, Wrasse up 4ILbs. I usually use lure tactics although float fished worm/shellfish will take fish and is essential if targeting wrasse. Have heard there are Conger here as well and would'nt doubt it! There are many good marks around this stretch of coastline I'd love to hear what they fish like in winter I just never fancied it given the dangerous nature of most of them!

Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:13 pm

Last time I was in Ballyhornan (admittedly a few yeas ago) I'm pretty sure it was in Co Down. What's with the
Co Donegal Dec 05
in the thread title?

PS I note this has now been sorted....thanks.
Last edited by x on Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ardglass co where

Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:27 pm

Hi

:oops: my geography is a wee bit weak...

It does however make the point that for many placenames there are several possible locations around Ireland so for any reports, can you please specify the date in general terms and also the county.

Theres an Ardglass and St John's in Donegal as well, wot I mishtook...

:oops: :wink:

Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:30 pm

The review I gave is indeed for Ballyhornan Co. Down

THE SLATE

Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:57 am

Anyone fancy meeting up and showing me and a mate where exactly this place is........... :Cry: :cry: :cry:

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:33 pm

Hi Simpo
I don't want to appear too fussy but I edited your posts so they were no longer completely in capital letters. They were too difficult to read!! :) (especially the first one!)
jd

Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:28 pm

Thanks JD

Wont happen again...............

Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:42 pm

Have fished this mark for years with my bro.If you dont mention the climb then you are in the wrong spot.Yes there are conger to 10lbs loads of dogs,pollack to 10lbs ask my bro!,plenty of coalies,good wrasse,the occasional cod in summer to lures and my bro has caught a 3lb ling here!
Float fished worm is a killer.Very deep water even at low tide.
Have never fished in winter though avoid it if there is any sort of swell running have been caught out here and gone for a swim even in the summer :oops:

Slate

Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:19 am

10Lb Pollack nice one! Best I ever had from there was just over 4lb ditto for best Coalie but always reckoned there were bigger! Definately hit the better specimens around dusk but as you mention the climb is a bit hairy so fishing into darkness and getting back form here is a no-no. Good to hear about the congers also, must have a go at those someday.

Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:22 pm

with regards to fishing slate at night its not a no no it is hairy but with a good headlamp both hands free and a lot of care it can be done how do you think me and marlin caught those congers :wink:

slate

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:26 am

Well climbing back in the dark scares the crap outta me :D In fact this mark scares me a lot at times :shock: Although when I was a kid fishing round here nothing phased me I'd climb down anywhere for a fish! My Dad used to have his heart in his mouth at some of my antics! I can see why looking back. What sort of a set up did you use for the congers by the way?

slate

Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:12 pm

just got in from a trip to slate.fishe by myself with a veritable smorgasbord of baits nothing came to the big rod.bagged up on decent pollack to 4lbs on deep spun sandeel weather was perfect with a bit of a swell running fished the high tide down

SLATE ROCK

Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:42 pm

Going to slate rock tomorrow,some Bangor lads where there today using spun sandeels(red packs).They reckon they had around fifty fish in total including a couple of small codling of around a pound,the rest being pollack.Will keep you posted.

Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:49 pm

Welcome to the site B.A.C

Andy