MONKSTOWN, COBH DEEP QUAY AND BALLINAWILLING

Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:06 pm

People: myself, anto, paul and my dad

Duration: 2 days

Tide:

Weather: cruel on the first day and nearly too good on the second day kinda killed the fishing.

Bait: fresh lug, black lug, mussel, squid, peeler crab, quinnes( a new one on me but very kindly donated by some nothern lads on the wall - very very effective)

Rigs: 4/0 pennel pulley rigs

Results:

lots of coddling over the two days, catching them nearly every cast when the tide wasn't to strong. the best of the coddling came from the deep water quay suprisingly enough just shy of 3 lb but we had plenty touch the 2lb mark. the only suprise of the couple of days was an 8lb bass i caught on peeler when fishing for cod on ballinawilling beach, east cork absolute cracker. all in all a very enjoyable two days especially the cork people and the nice lads you meet on the wall at monkstown.

Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:16 pm

ssshhh! the queenies are the secret cod bait!! them boys were meant to keep it quiet! lol :wink: :wink: :lol:
nice bass! beats a 3lb cod anyday!

Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:19 pm

where do i find these? i have heard them mentioned on some of the sea-angler reports over the years as being good for coalies.

Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:49 pm

get friendly with a trawler man who tows for buckies and queenies. the queenies are just basically a small scallop.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:12 am

Do you use the actual Meat or the Rims... Always caught loads of Coalies on Rims...

Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:15 am

cheers Phil thanks. i'll use my powers of seduction :twisted: !!!

Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:51 am

i'm told apart from the cod and coalies they are a top bait for plaice, they go mad for the red spot on the tail, very impressive bait.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:12 pm

stick the whole lot on with elastic for cod...plenty more scent that way.
the frills meant to be good for flats....perhaps good tipping bait.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:28 pm

also exellent for haddock.