Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

So more than a local drive then? :lol:

Cheers anyway

Matt

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:35 pm

So more than a local drive then?

or a long cast....

i actually met fishermen on de wall last year that have travelled down from Dublin special to fish there after the Irish Angler artical. They caught some lovely big fish too, due in part to there great long distance ability’s...

Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:48 pm

I met a couple of guys on on the morning of 28th who had set out from Bangor at 3:00am and driven overnight to fish "De Wall".

Now thats what I call dedication!

Paul

Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:24 pm

every possibility they are forum users if its some of the guys im thinkin on!!

Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:31 pm

Long way to travel for a fish supper alright! How did the lads get on Phil?

Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:59 pm

the guys from my club arent from bangor but possibly it was mates of one of the guys in the club.

club mates had 'the best trip of their lives' accordding to them!
they said they had a fish a chuck most of the time and they went through a load of bait over the 3 days!

they had a few flats, some whiting and a load of codling, the best landed around 8lb mark.

also had an easy double figure cod lost trying to bring it up the wall, the guy got excited and tried using the rod to lift it and snap went the line .... and snap went his greys pz300T into a few bits !!!!!

he said he didnt mind the rod breaking though because of the excellent fishing the 4 of them plus friends from dublin enjoyed.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:43 pm

The following site is useful in identifying Irish sea fish
http://www.cfb.ie/pdf/fishbook.pdf

Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:35 pm

Reminds me of the time a month or so ago in the middle of an early morning Sunday session whilst on the cod I hooked into something very large indeed.. Thought I was stuck at first but with steady pressure it started to come towards me. A fun 10 minutes followed as with rod hooped over this thing set off down the tide. Much sweating and grunting later and by this time a small crowd had gathered to witness "something special" it eventually broke surface. Know what it was? A bloody Spar carrier bag hooked perfectly through one of the handles full of water. :oops: Donal Domeney had a similar experience there a couple of weeks ago, he pulled in something even better, a boathook! No rods broken though!

Sounds like the lads had a good time anyway, glad they got into some decent fish. The general standard and size of fish has gone down somewhat this past couple of weeks, or maybe its just that there is such an amount of small stuff around they arent getting chance to hit the baits? Might try a small whiting or poor cod livebait and see what happens.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:13 pm

Fished the wall on a high tide this morning from 11.20 to about 1pm. Where have all the cod gone???! :? It was a fish a cast for the majority of the last couple of months, today, 1 small codling and one small whiting were all I had. Only about 4 or 5 other anglers there so maybe the rest who had stayed away all knew something I dont!

Got talking to a bloke after I had packed up and whilst chit chatting was stunned to see a salmon around the 6/7lb mark swim slowly past on its way back to sea. Poor thing didnt look to be in the best of shape with a lot of fungal growth on its fins. Hope it makes it! As ever at moments like that,the camera was across the road in the jeep.

On another note, I spotted 2 dead cormorants bobbing about at the side of the wall near where i was fishing, apparently a by product of those nice nets that are continually being set there. :evil:

Gonna have a crack at the Bass tonight and early tomorrow morning at Garretstown.