ballyholme beach

Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:30 am

Has any one ever fished ballyholme :roll: ? is there ever any whiting caught at it ?

thanks lads

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:54 pm

You're probably better sticking to Bangor pier if Whiting is all you're after, i don't think Ballyholme fishes great but then again i've never fished it and i live 2 mins up the road from it. :lol:

Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:23 pm

try near the groynes or the wee river there should be flounder about at night and i would imagine the whiting will come in under the cover of darkness but probably small like all the whiting in belfast lough

Ballyholme Beach

Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:28 pm

Hi Warjoe,

I was taught to cast on Ballyholme Beach and learnt a bit about it. There is a weed bed aparently that runs nearly the full length of the beach but it's around 150 yards out from the low water mark. This stops fish from getting on to the beach in any numbers although there are flatties and smallish round fish to be caught. It can be worth a chuck at times.

Aparently a couple of nets men used to do quite well on the other side of the weed for large plaice and rays. The angling club from Newtownards have fished it on several occasions. I don't kow if they're still going or not.

From what I remember a lack of fish wasn't the real problem but the amount of people that walk their dogs and ride horses on it. Actually, I'd maybe try Groomsport beach instead. There's usually codling and whiting to be had from it during the winter.

Re: Ballyholme Beach

Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:20 pm

Tryer wrote:Hi Warjoe,

I was taught to cast on Ballyholme Beach and learnt a bit about it. There is a weed bed aparently that runs nearly the full length of the beach but it's around 150 yards out from the low water mark. This stops fish from getting on to the beach in any numbers although there are flatties and smallish round fish to be caught. It can be worth a chuck at times.

Aparently a couple of nets men used to do quite well on the other side of the weed for large plaice and rays. The angling club from Newtownards have fished it on several occasions. I don't kow if they're still going or not.

From what I remember a lack of fish wasn't the real problem but the amount of people that walk their dogs and ride horses on it. Actually, I'd maybe try Groomsport beach instead. There's usually codling and whiting to be had from it during the winter.

methinks Sean Neil taught you to cast :)

Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:41 pm

Had Dogs, Codling, Coalfish, Whiting, Flounder and Dabs from Ballyholme...

Dogfish Dave got a Herron, But that doesn't count. lol 8)

Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:58 pm

You have all those fish from the shore or from the bay in a boat K2???

Tryer do I know you mate, did you used to cast with us or just tutored by Sean down there?

Marty

Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:43 am

Shore, The Stretch from the Carpark to the River.

Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:22 pm

Hello Boogaloo,

Yes you are right, I was taught to cast by Sean Neill at Ballyholme Beach. He had a real job on his hands with me but after about three sessions something just clicked and it was easy after that. I'll never challenge him for his pendulum crown though! Boy can he throw it a long way.

Sorry Marty but I don't think we've met. I was only taught to cast by Sean in 1996, I wasn't about when the casting competitions were running. I am wondering if Sean's still teaching as I have a nephew that could use his lessons. He's just not picking it up properly from me. Has anybody had any contact with him recently? I keep meaning to get his number every time I'm in Belfast but never get around to it.