Portsalon, Co Donegal Nov. 27, 2005

Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:10 am

People: Me & bro

Duration: 2 hrs - 17:00-19:00 approx

Tide: Just after high, falling

Weather: Light N breeze, 5 degrees C, occasional showers.

Bait: Prawns, herring, sandeel, and some of that Linconshire Peeler stuff. Decided to give the mackerel, sprat and squid a rest.

Rigs: 3 hook flappers - 10in snoods 5kg clear fluoro, small wire hooks.

Results: 2 whiting. Small whiting, at that. Both retrned alive.

Report: With a decent surf running after the recent blow, decided to abandon work for the day and get a line in for an hour or two. Lots of bites that were probably even smaller whiting than the ones landed. Left any bites for a couple of minutes to see if we could get a double/treble shot, no dice. Despite a large range of baits, not a sign of the flounder either. Prawn seemed to be really popular, getting stripped of the hooks in minutes. Both whiting (have to assume these were the best of the shoal) were taken on a cocktail of the Linconshire peeler bait tipped with 1in sandeel section.

Reserving judgement on the artificial peeler etc, but it seems ok so far.

I get the feeling that a rising tide after dark would have given better chances. I'm also beginning to wonder if it's worth trying for flatties here without fresh lug, or at least rag. Seems that the side nearest the rock rather than the river, may have been better for the whiting.

So, blank avoided by the narrowest of margins.

Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:08 pm

lug or rag tipped with mackerel should give you your best chances of flounder on it, never fished it yet but have seen a few very nice flounder taken on the boat not a million miles from it falling to these baits.

Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:40 pm

Had a couple of decent flounder and two small plaice on cocktail of mackerel and squid a couple of weeks ago. Short casts on the rising tide seemed to be the tactic. Have to get out again soon.

Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:48 am

Lough Swilly SAC have a meet on Sun Dec 04, 2005 at 14:30. As good a time as any....