red bay 25th nov 2005

Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:31 am

Me and dav and costa

place... red bay pier / beach

Tide.. fished 3 up and one over high (17.50)

bait.... rag, mussell.

weather... everything god had.

fish.... 4 codling (1-2lb) 1 flattie 2 pollock.

Firstly the weather as you all know was snow,snow and for good measure more snow. This was no problem as well clothed. but the wind was north then north/west 35 mile hr. fished one rod each with your hand on it. the waves were braking over the sea wall on to you every other wave. In saying all that it was the first and only time i have taken fish from this mark in a longggg time. The water was very coloured so think this helped. Iam sure there were better fish in there as we all lost a few to a big wave.

All in all a good nite as this was a last minute change. And thanks again to l&g tackle for bait and weights at the last moment.

bay

Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:34 am

Should say that most fish fell to the mussell. can anyone tell me was this due to the weather and the sea stait or does this bait work around here. Only been fishing for a few mnths.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:01 am

mussel is an exellent bait for cod and flounder it,s just a lot of people dont bother with it.could also be that some anglers find it hard to get or cant be bothered to shell it.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:32 pm

mussel is an excellent cod bait in this area but some rarely use it, try it with lugworm in a cocktail from this venue and you should add a few more codling to your tally.

lug

Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:25 am

Hi lads is there a big difference from lug and rag. and were do you get your lug worm from and how much for a lb of it say

Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:35 am

fishing up there for cod it can be the difference between going home with fish and going home with none.ragworm is good but the lug just gives you another option and you can use it in cocktails such as rag and lug or lug and mussel another bait is razor fish very underrated;most people dig there own lug but there may be guys around larne dig lug ask l&g.

Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:12 pm

only going on my own experiences at red bay marks, rag is better during summer, lug better during winter. both work well in cocktails with either squid crab mussel or mackerel. sandeel is another bait worth a chuck for the codling in this area.