People: Me and the bro

Duration: 1800 - 2330

Tide: Low 1930

Weather: Cold, very cold

Bait: Rag, mack, mussels, squid, prawns (raw and cooked), sand eels

Rigs: Pullies, 2 hook scratcher, ledger

Results: 3 Dab, 3 codling

Report:

A very disappointing cold and miserable night.

When we arrived, the pier was bunged and the competition on the beach at the opposite side of the Bay had just finished. Reports from the boys on the pier were not good.

After 1/2 hour the pier had cleared (must change my deodorant) and we had the place to ourselves. We both fished the big rods far out and kept the lighter rods close in.

We got nothing for the first couple of hours and then the bro got a double header of Dab - quite small but fish none the less!!

I landed a couple of small codling and the bro got one as well.

The guys that had left the pier earlier left a load of bat so we had a real seafood cocktail going on but the fish must not have got the invite!!!

Big shout out to Lee337 who pulled up at the pier for a nosey and had a chinwag - nice to meet you and put a face to the name - pity we couldn't show you any fish!!!

No doubt we will be out punishing ourselves again soon - until then - see ya later.

GG

Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:12 am

where you on waterfoot pier or red bay pier?

Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:42 pm

is it not the same place??? always knew the smaller pier at the boat club as cushendall pier?it only fishes max 2 rods.

Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:11 pm

the whole bay is known as red bay.just wondered was it the small pier or waterfoot pier looking over at the beach???

Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:16 pm

i know mate,just that i always knew the waterfoot pier as being called red bay pier also.but hey, maybe ive been wrong all along who knows!!!?? :lol:
was chattin to a few guys fishing the cushendall pier and surrounding rocks on friday evening and all they had caught between them all afternoon was a 4 inch whiting.more than i had all day elsewhere though!! :oops: :lol: !!

Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:25 pm

He was fishing Waterfoot pier( overlooking the beach ).

I would call that Waterfoot pier but I think that the sign at the wee pier at the lifeboat station calls it Waterfoot Pier :?

Lee

Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:17 pm

lets just settle it and call the big one waterfoot and the wee one is so small it shouldnt be classed as a pier anyway, more of a jetty!! :lol: :wink:

Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:03 pm

Right Lads - I'll clear this one up.

The large pier below the arch (beside the coal yard) is known as Red Bay Pier - Many years ago, this is where the Red Bay Ferry departed for Scotland. Hence Red Bay Pier.

There is only one accessible pier in Red Bay.

The other pier in Cushendall is known as Dalriada Pier (very small) because to access it you have to go down Dalriada Park (1st right after Fire Station). At this mark (as BP said) you can only fish 2-3 rods but you can fish off the rocks to the left or right of the pier.

All the best.

GG

Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:54 pm

It doesn't matter what its called, Its CRAP! :(

Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:04 am

Would have to disagree with you there K2, have had some very good fishing from both of those piers.

You seem to have been unlucky when fishing them as like most marks in the area they can fish really well and then the very next tide refuse to play ball.

Lee

Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:00 pm

They both blow hot and cold K2.

Have a look at my pics in the gallery to see some fish caught from Red Bay pier.

I have had Gurnard, Cod , Whiting, Plaice, Dab, Flounder and Doggies from Red Bay Pier....

Not bad but some trips are good, others are poor.

GG

Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:18 am

yeah have to agree, hit or miss.but at red bay pier i have to give it its dues, what other marks around the north or east coast in northern ireland have thrown up monkfish and cuckoo and blonde ray from the shore (however small they maybe)

earlier in the year the area of the small pier with is at the slipway at the boat club/lifeboat launch can throw up good numbers of plaice around may/june

i definately would knock either of these venues, put it like this, ive rarely ever blanked at either of them

Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:03 pm

red bay peir has its good days and its bad days but all ive ever caught off it is placie well as least ive never blanked off it.. :)