13lb Bass Waterford

Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:55 pm

Got this fella on Saturday evening, lugworms on a Pulley Pennell.

He's in my gallery.

Re: 13lb bass

Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:24 pm

Now thats what you call a fish!

Well done kstaff...

Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:17 pm

Nice one dude ....did you return it ?

Andy

Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:38 pm

ah lads give the man his due. its a 13lb fish has done plenty of breeding!

13lb Bass Waterford

Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:30 pm

spent 5 minutes in the surf trying to get it to swim off but it just wouldn't move. I'd rather eat it than see it washed up next day. I did try to return and was almost beaten up for it too!!!

Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:55 pm

nice one, well done! :mrgreen: im green with envy that is!! :lol:

Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:05 pm

where "exactly"was he caught,what kinda rig etc?i cant even catch a bass 1.3 lbs not alone 13!!

Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:49 am

Well done, a wonderful fish.
Being an angler in the area where the fish was caught I would ask that intimate details not be given. All anglers like to catch good fish but you must remember the area is having big problems with local boatmen netting bass. The locals as well as the local anglers are very vigilent in keeping an eye out for nets and the bailiffs are very cooperative when needed. Fines are so small that it is not a deterrent to the poachers. Boats have already been burned belonging to those that have been poaching. One net in the area could do far more damage than a lot of anglers will do in a year. Bass numbers as you can see have increased here in the past few years and we would hope that trend will continue for many years to come. If as many fish as possible are returned and conserved we will all have enjoyment for many years to come.

Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:21 pm

Sharky,

I fish the Waterford area quite a bit and I'm sure anyone else that does would like the number of a Balif in case they see anything illegal. If possible can you post his Name and Number and the area he can respond to. I'm sure one of the Mods will make it a sticky so it will be available to all. Let's get this poaching sorted so that we can share our marks and enjoy our fishing more.

Regards,

Kevin

when to PM versus when to Post!

Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:49 pm

Hi Lads

Just a comment: posting people's names and addresses is not always the best option, especially given their profession in this instance and the abuse that might come their way...

Sharky, can I recommend you PM people the details as requested...

Thanks

Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:04 pm

Crackin fish!
Great to hear you are keeping the location quiet and that you did your best to revive it. Nice One. :)

Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:24 pm

I understand Kierans concern about putting peoples name on here but isnt it our obligation to have our local bailifs name and number in our fones so we can call them if we c anything dodgy. you can get your local bailifs name from cfb

Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:30 pm

well staff.
nice fish. glad to see that you are keeping quite about your mark.
i know the area you caught it in and saw two guys hauling a net not a mile from there the next night. word travels fast.

Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:06 pm

Sorry but I wll not put anyones life in danger by putting their names and addresses on this forum. All of these poachers are in it purely for the money and the anonimity of the bailiff is imperative. If anyone needs to know who they can call, they can ask their local fisheries board or any of the local tackle shops. There is also the issue of who is buying the bass from the poachers???

Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:45 pm

the chinese restaurant owners thats who!!

Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:02 pm

Was fishing off passage afew months ago. They were hanging around like a bad smell waiting for us to catch something.

Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:31 am

thats a ridiculous thing to say that the bailifs need to remain unknown. they are local people 99% of the time and known anyway. how can they do their job with out getting in the faces of people poaching. there are very few poachers out there who would take on a bailif and all the repercusions that go with it for beer money which is in effect what they are getting for their catch. Thats the thing we have to remember here, that these people are not depending on bass to feed their families but rather see it as a side line to pay for the holiday r go to the boozer every night. get in their faces and get publicity for the cases on the east coast where boats have been taken! a net can be got for about 70 r 80 quid, and the price of a good bass? about the same i reckon, so taking nets is no discouragement at all.

Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:13 am

I have to agree with Liamdenn on this one. I for one don't want any harm to come to any Balif in the land, but the job of a Balif is to stop this poaching. If I can mail or call the CFB to get the name of a Balif in any area, surely anyone can get this information? Are we trying to say that the people Poaching don't already know who the Balif in the area is? I find this hard to believe. If the Balif doesn't want his name here it wont get put here, but why :?:

Kev

bailiffs

Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:24 am

Prior to the Pisces trial I heard all sorts of scurrilous rumours about lots of different people, most of whom were totally unconnected with the tragic event. I'm sure others have too - had to pull a few dodgy posts as well.

All it needs is one incident to close this site. Bailiff is attacked, someone asks how did they know who it was etc. Reporter finds that it is posted on this site puts two and three together and gets four and a half, publishes it, suddenly some solicitor is asking whether they have grounds for an law suit / action... and before you know what happens... registered letters...

If there is an official source for information, I'm happy to see people list the source, but personal contact details is not appropriate content here.

I hope everyone understands the need for this paranoia! :wink:

Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:36 am

We do Boss :wink: I just hoped that the Balif in question or others out there wouldn't mind their name and number listed on a site with so many people that care about our coastline.

Kev