Spanish Point, Clare 04/11/05

Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:43 pm

Had intended to fish Lahinch but on arrival at 6.30am the spray was coming over the car park walls, and it was just too dodgy to chance.

Ended up spending the day fishing at Spanish Point. The weather wasn't great but it was a good day. Caught a solitary bass of 4lb, and two nice flounder, one of which was a PB of 2lb 4oz. Which I was pretty delighted with.

All fish caught on sandeel. The bass was caught on the ebb, the flounder on the early flood. There was a big surf up on the beach, which meant I didn't want to chance fishing the rocks to the right of the beach. I'll definitely give these a go next time, they look very fishy!

I did head back to Lahinch with the idea of spending the last few hours there, but decided against it. The surf was a very dirty brown, and I didn't want to waste my time fishing surf conditions which bass generally hate.

Ps - Neilus, check your PM's more often!

Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:53 pm

We'll done Steve. A new PB is always a good days fishing. I have heard that the Bass fishing has been a little hit and miss over that way this year. I know a nice secluded beach that generally has a big surf not too far south of Spanish Point. PM me next time your down that way and looking for a new spot to fish.

Kev

Bass hate surf?

Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:27 pm

I thought Bass loved surf?

Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:38 pm

Apologies, didn't mean to cause confusion here. Yes, bass do love the surf, and shallow surf beaches are a great place to find bass.

What they do not like however, is a lot of suspended sand in the water. I.e. the dirty brown surf that was to be found in Lahinch that day. The previous night's storm had completed churned up the sea bed, and the water was like a brown soup, instead of the usual clean surf to be found on atlantic surf beaches.

Oh I see!

Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:29 pm

Ah, I see! Thanks for clearing that one up for us Steve.
John D

Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:02 pm

Steve,
I've experienced the same with surf beaches in north west, first day after the blow always tended to fish crap and it wasn't till the water fined down on the second day before fish came on the feed. Flounder over 2lb on a surf beach is a fine fish.

Pete