Bass

Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:57 pm

Just come back from cork after one hell of a weeks plugging and fly fishing.Weather was a bit rough somedays but i think this helped the fishing to be honest.had 61 bass for the week best i've ever done here.Biggest was 12lb 2 oz ,but had a further 5 doubles ranging from 10lb 1oz to 11lb 3oz and then the 12lber,had another 22 over 6lb biggest 9lb 7oz and the remaining 33 were all under 5lb all caught on poppers apart from 12 which were caught on the fly.Thanks to the bass members that were there for putting me on a couple of the marks but the majority of the fish were from ground that i had sussed myself.fab week will definately be coming back.

Cal

Excellent stuff Cal

Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:47 am

Well done Cal. An excellent session. I hope you're proud of yourself. I'm green with envy anyway. Were many of the fish returned alive?

John D

Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:12 am

Callum,

Amazing! delighted that you had a memorable week in my hometown of Cork!

Last week if I recall conditions were plagued by relentless gales & rain. South & SW predominately
How did you manage to 'pop' & 'plug' under such adverse conditions.

I fished Guileen last week and it was practically unfishable .

Wacker07.

Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:01 pm

wat poppers did u use?and what were ur methods?i often hear of people catchin bass like this,but is it basically spinning??wat spinners r best,etc. any details wud b great!

Bass

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:01 am

Hi ,
yes all the Bass were returned , i very rarely keep any only if i get an order from the missus do i keep one for the pot .All fish were caught on chug bugs or ailemagnets,apart from obviously the fly caught fish which were on a pattern i just whippped myself.The weather was rough,your right and i was doubtful myself about fishing in such conditions but the weather must of drove the fish in.Some of the spots were fished in the lee side of the bays which was manageable.

Cheers cal.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:34 am

Nice going, Cal. Glad to hear the bass lived to fight another day. As regards the fly you 'whipped together' some of the guys on the Saltwater Fly-Fishing forum might be intereted in the details, if you feel like posting.