Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:51 am

People:Me Tom and son Jacob aged 7

Duration:4 hours

Tide:from full tide towards the ebb

Weather:Glorious but windy

Bait:Lures, spinners and mackerel on 3 hook match rig

Rigs:Lures, spinners and 3 hook match rig

Results:One decent mackerel and one Pollock (I think) about 1.25lb

Report:Good day had by all, not much biting, got some decent fish close to high tide and close into the pier

These are my first two fish in 30 years, just took up the sport again and have had no luck in the last few weeks untill now. The lad was pleased and they tasted good, even better considering I built the 3 hook match rig myself.
:D

Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:57 am

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.agnew213/Fish.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.agnew213/Mackerel.jpg

hoping this link works, is it a Pollock?

Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:45 pm

Looks like a coaley to me, rather than a pollock. The coaley have a straight white lateral line, where the pollock's is more coloured and curves near the head. The coaley are whiter on the belly generally and the back has a pronounced greenish colour, usually. Well caught.

Last time I was in Portaferry (about this time 3 years ago) the local lads were fishing off the pier for codling using 6oz weigts and a single hook on a 3ft leader, (medium sized hook) and lug and ragworm for bait. Literally had bucketloads of them.

coalie alright

Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:15 pm

I think it's a coalie too!

Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:10 pm

TAKE A TRIP BACK THERE SOME NIGHT AND IT WILL BE A VERY DIRRERENT RESULT. :lol:

ON A GOOD NIGHT YOU SHOULD BE CATCHING APPROX. BETWEEN 20 AND 40 AN HOUR EASILY !!!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
YOUR SON WILL GET ADDICTED TO IT AT NIGHT.THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT THERE IS VERY LITTLE IN THE WAY OR RAILINGS BUT IT HAS A REALLY GOOD FLOUD LIGHT WHICH IS ON ALL NIGHT..

TRUST ME IT IS WORTH A TRIP,AS I WOULD BE THERE NEARLY ONCE A WEEK WITHOUT FAIL... :lol: :lol:

Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:14 pm

Hi guest

Could you do me a favour and press the third button up on the left hand side of your keyboard ... says caps lock on it
The forum has a range of emoticons or Avatars for the use of their members. This eliminates the need for capitalization to make a point. A message that is delivered in capitals is considered "shouting" or "flaming" on the internet and is considered rude.

Thanks
Andy
Last edited by b0ogaloo on Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:19 pm

'Caps Lock' on the LHS of the keyboard surely?

Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:27 pm

Tis :oops:

Andy

Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:58 pm

Hi All,

I was thinking of heading down to Portaferry next week after work ie 5 or 6 in the morning. Do you think it would fish ok at this time or is it better the other side of midnite ? These mornings it is still pretty dark at this time.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:18 pm

ALL RIGHT ! :oops:

just for you caps lock is off , sorry for any offence. :cry:

Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:23 pm

Argh, I love Portaferry, Sounds like there's plenty of fish at it at the minute, May have to get a Jaunt down... 8)

Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:24 pm

never tried to fish in portaferrey at that time of the morning,as i need my beauty sleep--and plenty of it (i'm told)! :mrgreen:
i don't see why it wouldn't fish as long as it is still dark.
i have only fished it at night or through the day. never even got a nibble through the day and even used rag worn. :cry:
i find night is the best! :lol:

Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:02 pm

Ok....Now for the stupid question. Generally, why do marks fish better at night time ?

Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:41 pm

..... . . . .. . . .. . . . . ..
. . ..
. . .
. . .
. .

Yes 8)

Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:07 am

cause it's dark? :lol:

Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:35 am

:oops: nearly forgot about that caps lock button again.!!!!!!!

personally i think portaferry fishes better at night because there is no lights near it except for the flood light on the pier.i think the light may draw them in towards it. the flood light lights up nearly the whole pier and some of the light falls onto the water beside it. :idea:

this may be just my stupid thoughts about it.but sure,what the heck it fishes really well at night no matter what the reason is..

:idea: maybe the fish just think that the stupid fishermen will be in bed --sleeping or entertaining others :wink: :wink: :wink:

i quote some people 'live to fish not fish to live' -- not me-- 'it gets me out of the house and i don't have to listen to her in doors cos when i get home,hopefully shes asleep....if not, there is always the sofa' :lol:

free speech

Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:07 pm

Get a life boogaloo. read the message and move on.

Also, I hope you didnt offend anyone with our US spelling.

ANYWAY CONGRATS ON THE COALIE CHIEF, I'D SAY IT FEELS GOOD TO GET BACK AFTER A 30 YEAR BREAK, KIDS DO THAT. I'D ALSO RECCOMMEND THE NIGHT TRIPS THERE, LUG, RAG & RAZORFISH ESPECIALLY WORK WELL.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:48 pm

I have a life thanks very much, My post about caps lock was not intended to be insulting, just common courtesy on internet forums.
Its also common courtesy not to insult people or to flame them with comments like this "Get a life boogaloo. read the message and move on. "

Andy
Last edited by b0ogaloo on Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Easy lads!

Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:16 pm

Hello lads (the two having an online argument!!)

Please try and not to turn the website into an area where people can have a go at each other. I don't think there was any insult intended with the instruction to turn caps lock off. However I can also see where the guest is coming from. The guest surely felt it was like chastising a child. I think you both have valid points.

But let's call it a difference of opinion, shake hands and make up!

Tight lines lads
John D

Portaferry

Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:30 pm

Hi All,

Gave Portaferry ago last night about 17:30 - 20:00. Tide was just on the turn heading in again...I think ! Used Squid and spinners.

Best days fishing..during the night I've had this season. Took about 20 coalies with 4 or 5 well over the 1.5 lb mark. Took most on the spinner but the biggest fell to squid.

Great Spot !!