Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:53 am

People:Just me

Duration:2-4.45 pm, oct 30

Tide:high, very high!

Weather:Strong blow up the river, squally

Bait:Lug and squid

Rigs:pennel

Results: ahem!!

Report: Fished passage east, up from the ferry. One small flounder. Tide was high and a (small!) wave washed most of (all of my remaining) lug and bucket away early in the session so ended up fishing with squid alone. No Cod. Maybe I was doing somthing wrong as I am a novice, but the lack of lug may have been the major factor. Went home wet!!

Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:26 pm

Fished Cheekpoint pier on the same day, the only sheltered spot I could find that day. Lots of small flounder and whiting. Highlight of the day was a whiting I caught without hooking it. A crab got entangled in my snood and had all six legs around the poor fish who wanted a taste of mackerel as well, the crab only released it on the pier. A bit early for codling, both flounder and whiting tend to be a bit bigger in January-February in that spot

Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:37 pm

Plenty of codling there alright now but only caught very small ones

cod

Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:44 pm

yeah lug is nearly a must for cod on the river but crab is also good there were cod showing in the river nearly all year. ive heard of cod to 4lb been got reasntly.fished cheekpoint last weekend got a load of codling all very small on lug.

Passage East

Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:22 pm

Hi All,
Not quiet Passage but for what it's worth...

fished the island (Castle) just to the left of the Ferry 2 weeks ago at low water for 2 hours and had a Cod a cast, about 2lb -4lb per fish. Great session. Once the tide picked up it got very weedy and the bites stopped.

All fish caught on either Crab or Ragworm.

Regards,

Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:33 pm

Good spot that. WE fish just behind ballinakill downs. Plenty of codling there last year. Also the odd flounder and eel. Nice spot in the evening if you only want to fish for an hour or so

passage east

Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:40 pm

Hi Daven,

I'm hoping to get out this weekend at some stage, any reports of anything throwing up fish lately. I'm in Dublin Mon - Sat most weeks so generally rely on this site for updates

Regards,