Bangor pier ,co.down

Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:29 pm

People:my self and kissmywrasse(davy)

Duration:4hrs

Tide:

Weather:calm and cloudy

Bait:Ragworm and frozen mackerel

Rigs: single hook paternoster and conger trace

Results:ballan wrasse>2.5lb , corkwing wrasse ,goldshinney wrasse ,sea scorpion,pouting,poorcod,whiting,shore rockling,three bearded rockling,conger, wee pollack

Report:We had a load of ragworm left over from the weekend which had to be used up so we decided to give the pier a try for a couple of hours after work .
Its amazing the variety of fish you can pick up fishing in close to the pier ,started of fishing for wrasse before the light left us and managed to pick up a few good fish with davy landing the best of the night at 2.5lb ,i lost one about 3lb while fishing down a gap in the boulders ,once dusk came we changed tactics and fished for the rockling when i spotted a conger coming out of the boulders after my rockling gear so as i tackled up the boat rod with a conger trace i spotted a bigger fish swim through the hole ,after a tense 10mins it came back and started sniffing around the mackerel head ,its hard on the old nerves watching a decent conger take the bait and mouth it before taking it far enough to get the hook ,eventually got him though and it weighed in at 14lb .
not a bad night and plenty of species to keep the interest up .

Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:23 am

that was a very unusual method of conger fishing,would be interesting with a 30lber :lol:

BANGOR PIER 2-6 OCTOBER 05

Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:04 pm

People:Myself and kissmywrasse

Duration:3-4 hrs most evenings

Tide:lw up to two hours before hw

Weather: calm cloudy

Bait: mackerel

Rigs: single hook paternoster and conger traces

Results: 9 conger to 23lb ,about a dozen 3 bearded rockling to just over 1lb 12oz loads pouting and poor cod and some shore rockling

Report: Decided to start fishing for the conger and rockling again now that the mackerel bashers have left the pier Sunday afternoon saw me fishing the back of the pier for a couple of hours on my own got first big rockling of the session at 1lb 8oz shortly followed by a conger of around twelve pound ,fished on for a while around the holes in the boulders in one spot picking up a few more small rockling on the bait caster , moved to another spot just before dusk and spotted another big rockling sniffing around the ruby duby bag continued to fish the area when all of a sudden the mini rod started doubling over ,thought I hooked a small conger at first then I spotted it was a good rockling ,got him landed and weighed and it came in at 800grams ,my first specimen rockling .

Monday saw davy and myself back down the pier trying to see if we could pick up anymore of the big rockling ,got a couple of good shore rockling and I picked up another good 3 bearded hanging onto my rubydubby bag ,quickly put him back but think he was a bit spooked got my best conger of the year though at 23lb and another of 10 ish .
Tues night was a bit of a washout as I suffering a bit with the flu but we still managed a couple of small conger nothing extraordinary ,except for getting caught out by the hss wake and losing my mini rod and reel ,was lucky enough to get it back the next day at low water still in tact !!
Gave the fishing a miss on wed but we were back down on Thursday night ,still not a lot of rockling but davy got a good conger of 17 1/2lb and I managed 3 others all 5-10lb range .
The pier is fishing pretty well these days ,only problem is you lose loads of gear but the rewards are worth it .

Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:44 am

still cant believe you got the rod back :o ,lucky ****!

Bangor pier 04/12/05

Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:33 am

haven't reported for a while ,getting lazy and letting kissmywrasse do all the hard work :wink: had a pretty good session at the rockling again tonight with 2 fish over the 1lb mark and plenty of good shore rockling as well ,no conger tonight but good craic anyway .
Fished the long hole for flounder for an hour with some frozen lug tipped with mackerel but the baits were coming in the same way they went out . we used to get some good fish from here but it seems to be getting weedier so maybe the flatties have moved on .

Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:50 am

Where are you fishing on the pier? Fancy giving it a go sometime.

Cheers

Lee

Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:07 pm

Normally fish the back of the pier ,into the holes between the boulders ,you can only reach them 2 hrs either side of low water ,watch out for the wake from fast ferries as it can sneak up on you ,appearing out of the blue .

Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:21 am

Cheers Ronald

Will have to give it a go over the winter.

Lee

Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:22 am

People:my- self and kissmywrasse

Duration:4hrs

Tide:lw 19.30hrs

Weather:cold and calm

Bait:mackerel and herring

Rigs:single hook paternoster

Results:rockling ,pollack,poorcod

Report:not a bad night with some of the big rockling putting in an apperance biggest 1lb 8oz and another 1lb2oz with some half decent shore rockling as well all the good three bearded fell to frozen macerel ,and davys poorcod taking herring ,lost a couple of good fish in the boulders but thats to be expected cosidering your fishing in gaps in the rocks .

Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:06 pm

thanks fpr pointing out that the poorcod was mine.i wasn`t even going to mention it :wink:

Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:08 pm

Did you hook it, or did Ronald have to tie it on for ya? :lol:

Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:34 pm

Didn't have to tie this one on ,it was his best fish of the night though :lol: not alot about .headin back down tonight though bringing conger rod this time .

Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:46 pm

Good Luck mate, I'll be Delivering Flowers to Dubliners :evil:

Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:12 pm

hi, just wondering what this famous mini rod is. :? Is it small spinning rod or what? how big is it? :?:
col

Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:22 pm

Feck off K2 i still haven`t forgot what you lot done at the Dee. :evil: *****!

hi col,the mini rods are 4' 6'' kids baitcast rods and they are unbreakable,we`ve had congers to 10lb with no problems(well almost no probs) :lol:

Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:57 pm

kissmywrasse wrote:Feck off K2 i still haven`t forgot what you lot done at the Dee. :evil: *****!

hi col,the mini rods are 4' 6'' kids baitcast rods and they are unbreakable,we`ve had congers to 10lb with no problems(well almost no probs) :lol:

Awwww Davy, Still a Sore Spot? :twisted: