Ballscadden Report

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Ballscadden Report

Postby George » Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:22 pm

High Rocks Ballscadden, 1st February 2004, 11.00am - 4.00pm
Bait: Ragworm, Mackeral, Mussel, Squid, Peeler Crab

Mackeral strips tipped with a small bit of squid was the best bait of the day for the Whiting with ragworm coming in second. Caught ten Whiting all together, all around the 20cm mark. One minute Dab was also caught on squid to my suprise. A good few Whiting were lost while being dragged up the cliff. Rigs of the day were the three hook flapper and two up- one down.
George

Postby Wes » Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:14 pm

I dont suppose you've tried that small beach at the base of that steep road up to Balscadden George? Wonder if anybody else has had any luck from it.
Wes

"A bad days fishing is better than a good days work"
Wes
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby David » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:22 pm

I have also wondered about that small beach . I have been told that it holds mullet in summer. It looks like it holds fish from looking down on it from the hill .
David

Ballscadden Beach

Postby George » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:24 pm

Haven't fished it myself but its supposed to give bass and flounder. Have heard no recent reports. Fishing off the rocks into deeper water would propably be a better option.
George

Mullet

Postby George » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:27 pm

Doubt that it holds mullet. I'd say they prefer the harbour.
George

Postby Wes » Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:50 pm

I reckon I'll give it a go this Sat or Sun morning....chance my arm. Your right David, it does look to get fairly deep fairly quickly. But as I said before, better make sure theres no swimmers!
Wes

"A bad days fishing is better than a good days work"
Wes
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby David » Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:16 pm

You are right George the harbour does hold alot of mullet but the beach also holds mullet . I'd say it fishes much the same as Balscadden and the piers ,plenty of undersize whiting and Dabs .
David

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports