Waterford-Dungarvan,HelvicHd.,Dunmore East Bank Hol+Tues.

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Waterford-Dungarvan,HelvicHd.,Dunmore East Bank Hol+Tues.

Postby EcoFish » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:11 pm

People: Me and my shadow (plus some nice encounters with locals + tourists!)

Duration: Over two days - about 10 hours

Tide:mostly late rising; early rise at Dunmore East

Weather:fair-overcast (Ballinacourty, Dungarvan); sunny (Dunmore East)

Bait:Fresh Peeler, Maddies and Lug dug Mon. midday at Dungarvan, Rag, frozen Razer

Rigs: Pulley Rigs, Wishbone, Feathers/Plastic mack,pollack rigs

Results: Ballinacourty - Wrasse (1.5lbs.), Three-Bearded Rocling (6")
Helvic Head - 1 large Mackerel
Dunmore East - 1 small Flattie, 2 large Mackerel

Report: Took a short overnight, trip southeastwards out of Wicklow and into the Déise on Bank Hol. Mon. and Tues. Stayed overnight in Dungarvan in the beautiful 100 yrs.+ period guesthouse, 'Cairbhre House', right beside Colligan estuary with the very hospital Brian (makes an v.tasy fresh omelette with garden ingredients!). Highly recommended; use of fridge included.

My target species was Bass, having heard locals were cacthing large specimens at Ballinacourty Point, near entrance to Dungarvan harbour. But sadly, blanked on that, despite successful use of freshly dug maddies, peeler crab and lug; and after long discussion with helpful, local lad who provided much needed local knowledge. I bumped into him later in the drizzle below Ballinacourty lighthouse as tide filled Harbour. But he and another lad seemed to blank also on bass; trying out the freshly harvested peeler.

The Wrasse came as a nice surprise on new beachaster, rising out of the weed (sorry mobile phone pics not yet downloaded); the Rockling followed on razor and maddies, though it was an eel at first. Strange I've encountered a smaller eel while digging beneath rocks for peeler at low tide. Guess Rockling was a close cousin :lol:

So off then (about 6.30pm) to for an exploration of options at Helvic Hd., ignoring Connigar Spit as I haven't yet replaced ageing waders and didn't fancy the long slog to spit point facing channel, where wadding in seems local trend!
Usual scene as at most harbour - over 20 mac bashers, but I found spot beyond near small inlet, beside two lads spinning for bass - again no joy for anyone; though told they'd been in abundance a fortnight earlier. Just one mackerel for me; happy close to day one.
Tues, on return trip, took a detour to scenic Passage East as ferry was coming over from Ballyhack; and Dunmore East for the scenery as much as the fishing. The weather was superb all day, warm and sunny.
Set up behind pier for short session on falling tide (small flattie caught on rag on new rod and reel - hurray :roll: :lol: 8) . Then off for some lunch - sumptuous chowder + glass of vino (us anglers need nourishment! :) at the Lemon Tree Restaurant. Resumed at low ride from 2.45-6.30pm on rock platforms beyond harbour and settled into some spinning for what I hoped would yield sizeable Pollock. But after long wait, fought hard battle with 2 strong-limbed macks, landed just either side of 6p.m. No sign of Pollack.

Before leaving, I counted other15 rods, but I seemed to be only one catching! Seems macs. are there, but slow and sporadic; but then again, I guess they came in quantity as tide moved onwards to fill.........

For this message the author EcoFish has received thanks:
lad123 (Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:29 pm)
EcoFish
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 4 times

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports