carrigaholt beach and pier

Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:35 am

People:myself and Neilus

Duration:2 eveing sessions 15/8/05 and 16/8/05 from 6p.m to 12pm

tide:bottom of the tide on the 15th was around 8.30pm (not ideal)

weather:savage! mild as anything,gentle winds(only Neilus the sissy wore a jacket!)

Bait:fresh mackeral, lug, rag, and frozen sandeels

Rigs:pulleys(at distance), and two hook flappers close in, on the first night (from the beach)
second night on carrigaholt pier, pretty much everything!!! tobies, lead heads, flies, mackeral feathers, plugs,lug fished close in on flappers, float fished whole live mackeral, you name it we tried it!

Results:on monday night, results were sh*it, a small flounder a piece close in on the beach.
tuesday night, the polar opposite, the pier was alive with mackeral and skad, lost count to be honest

Report: two very enjoyable nights fishing, monday was disappointing, no ray, or even doggies from the beach. after i left at 12pm, Neilus headed to the pier, and caught plenty of mackeral and skad on the fly rod.
So we decided to head back out there again tuesday night. brought every light sporting outfit i had. 13 foot float rod, and 3lb line, and also an 8 foot 5 weight fly rod, these provided the best craic by far, wit the mackeral making unbeleivable runs, it's a real pity mackeral don't grow into double figures! there were also mullet present, but despite neilus's best attempts at groundbaiting!!! the mackeral were just too profilic, and forced the mullet away.......overall tuesday night was one of those nights where you'll talk about for ages, mental craic, and Neilus is a great laugh, really enjoyed the two nights out......except for at 11.30 lastnight where a seal appeared out no where and almost took the mackeral off the end of my fly rod, i nearly jumped in with the fright.......oh ya, and the bio luminesent bacteria were visible for a while too.
bloody hell last night was some night!!! the shannon estuary is stuffed fulled of mackeral, they are everywhere, i mean it