Kiltery Pier, Limerick

Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:47 am

15th aug 2005

Phone call

tide 13.30

[b]Weather:Overcast

[b]Bait: feathers

[b]Report: I just got a phonecall that mackerel are being caught in their hundreds from Kilteery Pier. I have never heard of mackerel being caught this far up the estuary. Is it common or is it likely that they are being persued by something bigger and more interesting???

Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:08 pm

There was an artice in yesterday's Ireland on Sunday saying there has never been as many Mackerel around this year over in the West and they were actually encouraging people to go out and catch them,they even had a guide on how to catch them.They are saying the inactivity of the Russian trawlers this year has caused huge numbers to come inshore and it might have something to do with that red algae thats floating around aswell.I just hope people don't start getting greedy,take some for yourself and throw the rest back if you can.
Did you get some yourself then?

Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:17 pm

It may be true!, There are plenty of Garfish around Glin so its possible the mackeral are there two, and have to agree with the papers there is a huge amount of Mackerel around this year, it was hard getting through them last week down in Brandon!

Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:47 pm

None for me am in the office and recieved one of those gloating phonecalls.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:21 pm

its true alrite me and two friends went to glin bout a month ago ad 600 in four hours could see the makerel swimmin under ure feet best fishin ever

Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:58 pm

I was down fishing in glin the day the big cruiser was going down the Estuary I met 3 young lads with three big bags of joeys and asked them what they were going to do with them and said they were going to sell them and asked if I wanted to buy a few and with that I left them to it.

Kilteery was packed with bashers and easten Europeans with broken leada rods so I kept well away from the place for the summer. Went back to the point in kilteery a few weeks ago to see rubish and fence post kicked over. Nearly hope these mackerel runs don't become an annual occurance or the point will be closed off.

Donagh

makerel

Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:11 pm

donagh,
i was one of the three lads u met dat day bags of joeys my arse i ad a 1lb 7oz mackerel dat day my bigest ever so u got it wrong boy. the other two did sell em and made a bit outa it tho not me im keepin em all for congerin in tarbert sein as i use up to ten a session

Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:27 pm

Hi Gearoid,

I thought it was to much of a coincidence. In fairness I saw the fish you had and they were mainly joeys. I feathered myself and they were mainly joeys and all the anglers I talked to were getting mainly joeys from the estuary though there were a few decent ones there. I've no problem with you taking them as long as they were used for bait or otherwise. At dusk the place went ballistic with mackerel jumping out of the water a few feet from shore. I was to busy fishing for ray as the place was black with them.

Donagh

Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:46 pm

donagh,
av every intention of using those makerel for bait dont kill any otha species. ray u say? wer u get them? i ad loads of em in kilteery dis summer

Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:27 pm

good to hear rays were about on south side of shannon, i heard foynes tarbert and kilteery were very poor these days, were they any size? anybody else had any luck south shannon? :shock:

kilteery pier limerick

Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:27 pm

bonner,
the south side is as good as the north side in my opinion i had over forty ray on a mark on this side over the summer and they go up to twelve pound plenty of huss and dogs too.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:10 pm

There are plenty of fish to be on the Limerick marks but all Estuary marks including the clare ones have disimproved. This is born out by competition results. Just like anywhere to get the fish you have to have a fair idea when, what bait, what tide and where to fish and bit of luck.

Donagh