Miles away.....South West France!

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Miles away.....South West France!

Postby IDPearl » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:32 pm

So long since I wet a line on the Irish shores!! And boy, do I miss it!!!

Here I am down in SW France and only been fishing 3 times in as many months. Blanked the first 2 times, but went out to "Cap De L'Homy" on Tuesday and finally hooked up. Got to the beach early to avoid the throngs of tourists and surfers. About 7am a big rowing boat turned up with about 30 guys on the beach and proceded to trawl the beach with a huge net. They leave one end of the net on the beach, row out and back in a big arch and the pull the net in by hand! I went over to see what thay had caught - 50 FEET FROM ME!! Only a few mullet, 1 Dorade, 2 schoolie bass and one sole. I carried on fishing regardless and about 2 hours later had the first bite. Turned out to be a Greater Weever about 14 inches long!! This was then followed a double and 3 more on different casts. All took mackerel. These things grow to 3lb and have really poisonous spines on their back.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/idpearl/GreaterWeever.jpg[/img]

So all in all, so far, the fishing sucks and my dreams of big Maigre and Bass are fading. Gonna try another spot further south near Biarritz next week though....just in case!!

Miss you guys and the craic of fishing there!!

All the best,

Ian
Last edited by IDPearl on Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malaysia/Singapore Species list: Grouper, Catfish (Salt water), Puffa fish, Barracuda, Sea Pike, Gar Fish, Giant Trevally, Leopard Murray Eel, Grass Carp, Sardine, Rainbow Runner, Chinese Mackerel, Flying Fish, Stingray, unidentified reef fish, Dorado (Dolphin Fish), Gelama, Ketuka, Flathead, Striped Tuna, Chicken Fish, Red Snapper, Fingermark Snapper, Emperor Snapper, White Snapper, Golden Snapper, Sweetlip, Blue Spotted Ray, Sailfish, Parrot Fish, Whiting and a whole bunch of others!
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Location: Was Dublin, then SW France, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Malaysia - Singapore!!
Have thanks: 1 time

ahhhhh

Postby rotten bottom » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:50 pm

they look so harmless dont they, good to see a good pic of one, cheers
rotten bottom

Postby m.b3 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:59 pm

haha!!!!!! Pearliboy!!! i've a few stories to tell ye!! looking forward to a reunion fish off! we'll see if you still have it! the freezer is stocked with squid- just waiting for the call! coddies beware...
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby MAC » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:30 am

ID...........what the story buddy. Good to hear that your still alive, pity about that fishing. Get you ass back to Ireland mate and we'll hook up with Mark and he can show us how to fish again :wink:

Keep the chin up and we'll be fishing again soon.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports