BALLYHORAN, Co.Down

Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:12 pm

Hi,

Just getting back into the fishing again after a long break away ( Shes 1 year old now ! ). Has anyone out there fished the above ? I've heard reports it's been fishing well lately with plenty of Mackerel, Coalies and Codling. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:13 pm

Is this Ballyhornan Portaferry? :shock:

Ballyhoran

Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:56 pm

I'm not 100 % sure but I think it's just before Ardglass. I over heard someone saying they had caught on spinner and float every time they've been out. Was wondering if anyone else has tried this spot. Also can anyone recommend any good shore spots on the Antrim coast ? :-)

ballyhornan

Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:56 pm

Hello I'm knew to the board! Ballyhornan is on the road from Ardglass to Strangford there is a shallow beach with Gunns Island facing it. Don't reckon the beach is any use although I have spotted small palm sized flatties there! There are some good Rock marks (some are extremely dangerous) on the lecale way which is basically a track which goes from Ballyhornan to Ardglass. I have fished here quite a few times in the past particulary in my teenage years should be Makerel around at this time of year alright and plenty of coalies and some pollack. Light spinning gear is what I use good fun on light gear most of the Coalies 1-2 lbs although always a chance of +4LB Pollack. Float fished lugworm is good for Wrasse some good ones my best is probably about 4lb mark but its hassle collecting lug but if someone put in the effort i'm sure there are bigger specimens around. I've never caught or seen anyone catch Codling poor cod yes but you never know. I've heard reports of conger as well!

Ballyhoran

Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:04 pm

Thats great info Thankyou very much. I'm off to Newcastle tomorrow so will try and head up there at sometime during the day. Will leave an update later and let you all know how the session went.

Only just found this Web site and its EXCELLENT !!