1st August Teelin & Muckross Co. Donegal

Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:43 pm

[b]People:Meself and Pauric

[b]Duration:4pm-1am

[b]Tide:Hour before high tide

[b]Weather:Warm Sunny weather

[b]Bait:Sandeel, launce,mackerel

[b]Rigs:Two hook bomber & pully rig

[b]Results:Teelin: 20 mackerel, 6 launce, 3 conger,6lb,9lb,10lb.
Muckross: 10 dogs and 2 small conger.

[b]Report:Plenty of mackerel and launce about, alot of boats close to the shore scared them off, lots of conger taking, hadnt the right gear with me though and ended up snapping one of the rods, had one close to the surface, looked to be a very big conger, it just took of and snaped the rod, a bit cheesed about that one. Used the launce as bait on a pulley rig, looking for flats but ended up with conger!? I have to say the Launce is excellent for conger. Seen plenty of mullet cruising about and some other shoal of fish, oval in shape, dark color, just breaking the top of the water, anyone know what they might be? Headed to muckross beach at 9 and fished until 1 am, tide was well out and was starting to come back in when we left. Caught 10 dogs and 2 small conger, on sandeels and mackerel. There was also this strange luminance affect when the waves were crashing in? Anyone ever see it before? Small illuminating particles in the sand.

Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:53 pm

The strange light effect in the water you saw was phosphorescence caused by tiny algae called dinoflagellates. If you swim in the water or row a boat when the water is full of these dinoflagellates it can be quite spectacular as every time the surface is disturbed results in a big flash of green light

Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:06 pm

"""shoal of fish, oval in shape, dark color, just breaking the top of the water"" - possibly trigger fish. And you ought to be in a boat at night with an outboard when you get phosphorescence - looks like you're sitting on a rocket motor...

If you have to break a rod, doing battle with a conger is a better way to go than stepping on it or shutting the tip in the car door etc....makes for a better story in the pub, anyway..."

what are launce

Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:01 am

what are launce

Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:11 pm

Launce are also know as greater sandeel, just a larger version of the sandeel, excellent bait if you can catch them, normally caught along with shoals of small mackerel, I used mustad shrimp baits to catch them.