St John's Point , Donegal

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:11 am

People: H Rocks & Cassie

Duration: 5 hrs

Tide:Rising

Weather: Dull , but dry, sunny spells

Bait:Rag, Limpet, Sandeel

Rigs:Sliding float on 10ft trace with stop know, single 1/0 baitholder hook

Results: 55 - 60 Ballan Wrasse (to 4.5lb) and Pollock (to 2lb)

Report: Arrived about 4.00pm , scouted the rock marks for about 20 mins to get a spot, settled on a shelf at the furthest point from the gate at the light house. Made for comfortable fishing. First cast with the rag, Cassie landed a Ballan Wrasse. I set up and did the same. This continued until the last cast at 9.30pm. We stopped counting when the score was 25 - 20 to Cassie (he always has to win - throws a strop otherwise !!) . In between we set up Carp rods with sandeel and float fished them further out for Pollock - we had about 15 in all to about 2lb.
We had a visit from a pod of about 40 Dolphins who looked to be working a shoal of mackerel just beyond our furthest cast. One came in very close (a dolphin , not a mackerel) and turned at our feet. A seal also patrolled the water just out of range.
First time shore fishing proper, wont be the last. Hopefully we'll get another spin up there soon. Wrasse are a great scrapping little fish, biggest was just under 4.5lb - hard to move when they lodge themselves in the rocks, but great sport otherwise.
Our first shore fishing proper as I said, but definitely not the last. I reckon it's put paid to my boat fishing days ! No better way to spend your 35th birthday ! :D

St johns Point

Postby Cassie » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:45 pm

Have to agree Conor, best shore fishing I've ever had. Unbelievable return of fish. Wrasse were amazing scrappers. Sounds like you are a sore loser, I suppose you didn't do too bad for a man who is now officially middle-aged.

Cassie
Cassie

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports