People:2

Duration:4.30/6.30p.m.

Tide:mid section

Weather:calm/overcast

Bait:lugs

Rigs:basic pat.

Results:angler 1 15 schoolies 3 g.h.s.b. best 1.5lb
angler2 5 schoolies

Report: bite/fish every cast huge shoals of fish present mostly bass/bream/mullet

Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:53 pm

Hi Poacher, ever tried mussels or other shellfish for sea bream, where I come from in france that's what they catch they with, mussel growers hate them big time, sea breams pick mussels attached to the beds and can cause a lot of damage.

Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:51 am

hi ganoz
never tryed them as lugs work well often thought about it
will defenatly give them a good trial. think of useing oysters there is a large oyster farm on the beach maybe part of the reason the bream are there
will post results
thanks for the reply ganoz

Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:14 pm

Hi Arthur (poacher), was down in Dungarvan on Tuesday although didn't get to do any fishing. Went for a walk to Helvic and saw Cunnigar, beautiful place.

I might try fish it next time i'm down that way, is high tide best time to fish it, and i'd imagine fishing to the right (seaward) side of the spit is best. Looking forward to trying out soon though.

Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:27 am

hey bud. nice to see you are having some good fishing but dungarvan is a small bay and easily susceptible to rouge commercial fishermen. for the sake of your own fishing pleasure and the ecosystem in the bay you should try to keep that sort of information to a limited few. Anglers will always hear through word of mouth where the good spots are these special venues should not be advertised to the few that will ruin it for all of us. this reply is with the utmost respect to this site and all that participate in it and i hope that most people will understand where i am coming from.
regards concerned angler

Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:25 am

area cannot be netted due to oyster beds /weed
although illigal netting of bass is carried out on a fairly large scale in and around the bay dureing the year there are areas thats out of bounds for anumber of reasons
the number one being a type of black cobweb weed that cloggsthe nets
only way is to let it rot out takes 1 month sometimes they cannot haulthe nets because of it
Ibelive if it wasent for this blessed weed the bass would have been wiped out long agoin this country
thanks for your comments but i had thought about the area is safe from netters they would already been goneotherwise
i was a fishermanand know the score
it would takelittle for the fish/board to stop/catch netters only time they can put out nets is 20 min. eather side of high/low water outside oyster beds x marks the spot yeah
iwll be posting more catches
again thanks
the poacher

Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:02 am

alby wrote:Hi Arthur (poacher), was down in Dungarvan on Tuesday although didn't get to do any fishing. Went for a walk to Helvic and saw Cunnigar, beautiful place.

I might try fish it next time i'm down that way, is high tide best time to fish it, and i'd imagine fishing to the right (seaward) side of the spit is best. Looking forward to trying out soon though.

mi alby
spinning best on bigger tides kily catcher silver only colour
redgill/bubble good retreved at a slow to med. pace over and around the patches of rock/weedthats about 200 yards to the right of the car park many big bass thken here every year
the whole spit is worth fishing eather side lure fishing only on the inside dou to crabs
best to wade out and fish the tide in when ueseing lugs its good to keep the bait moveing
best beach in the countryif u learn to fish it
have cought 100 bass in 6 hours there
21 bream so far this year
if u stick to the above u will catch
hope this is helpful
art.

Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:03 am

alby wrote:Hi Arthur (poacher), was down in Dungarvan on Tuesday although didn't get to do any fishing. Went for a walk to Helvic and saw Cunnigar, beautiful place.