check this out!! Pity they killed it.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-20 ... 4,,00.html
kstaff
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 308 times

Postby Liamo » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:34 pm

Mental! I love the quote

Contest chief Steven James said: "It’s unbelievable, a true dinosaur."

And since the we all know dinosaurs are extinct.........
Liamo

Postby x » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:53 pm

"Not much chance of people copping on and adopting conservation if the tabloids keep branding any shark a ""man-eater"". That shark probably took decades to reach that size, without eating any men.

The realists among us know fine even a mullet would be a man-eater if you were floating face down on their patch for long enough.

I think to earn the name man-eater you should have to (as a shark etc) leave the water, with the active intention of having homo sapiens as you main course, and actually eat a whole man. just eating a swimmer in the water doesn't count - no effort.

I wouldn't mind, but the same publication would be the first to be in your face if you were seen eating non-dolphin friendly tuna. There's a word for that...."
x

True

Postby John D » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:56 pm

Good point Sandman
Protect the magical sport of sea angling and spread the word that conservation is the way forward. Put fish back!!!!
John D
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 182 times

big fish

Postby The Dirty Fecker » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:18 am

Yep its quite sickening really. When you look at a lot of the american shark websites it seems the majority of Mako's, threshers and tigers are hauled ashore for photos. There is simply no need for this. The organisers of these competions usually have $25,000 up for grabs or similar and are actually promoting the slaughter of what is essentially an amazing resource. Reminds you of the way peoples attitude to fish in the UK and here was not too long ago does'nt it? It's a pity people have to be so stupid and only really realise how important these fish are until they are gone for good... I mean who actually keeps a Tope these days? the record of 66 LB is a complete joke and is actually a credit to the Irish fishing comunity. It is good to see people care more about the fish themselves than claiming the credit for butchering a fine 70 or 80 lb fish and getting their name down on some register that no one really cares that much about anyway. I mean, who hear actually knows any of the people responsible for any of the irish records? And those of you who do, How many do you know? My point is at the end of the day it is just a name on a sheet of paper and could be anyone in the street... Its not exactly high profile sport is it? I personally like to see a big fish swim away and am disgusted by mindless slaughter like that! :evil: :evil:
The Dirty Fecker

Postby Liamo » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:35 am

I remember reading an artcile on the BASS website some time back that made an excellent argument for actually using th length of a fish as a deciding factor in terms of specimens rather than weight.

Besides, if a 9lb bass swallows a 1lb pouting before you catch it does that mean you caught caught a 10? He'll probably weigh less again in a few hours time... catch him a day later and you're back well under the specimen weight.... Length would seem to be a good argument here...

Imagine the amount of boat caught fish that would be saved? People could measure their catch on the boats and it would wipe out the need for the slaughter of the hundreds of specimens killed every year just for the sake of weighing them "on shore"
Liamo

Postby John D » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:19 am

Brilliant points Liamo and 'The Dirty Fecker'.

John D
Protect the magical sport of sea angling and spread the word that conservation is the way forward. Put fish back!!!!
John D
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 182 times

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports