Magherees Pier - round from Castlegregory (Dingle Peninsula)

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Magherees Pier - round from Castlegregory (Dingle Peninsula)

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:03 pm

Me, My brother and my 12yr old future brother in law.

3 hrs

High Tide

Sunny and calm

Peeler crab

Basic 1/0 hook and weight on swivel

8 ballan wrasse and 1 pollack

Using peeler crab cut in two we just dropped down our tackle and sat in wait. 30 seconds for the first wrasse to be landed. He weighed two and 1/2 pounds and was caught by the youngest member of our group on a basic Shakespeare spinning rod with 10lb line. Great day and great mark for any first time fishers (both my brother and my future bro in law were fishing their first casts). Bait was bought frozen in Landers outdoor and leisure shop in Tralee. Biggest fish caught was a 3lb ballan wrasse who put up a wicked fight. Definitely recommend to anyone who is down this way. Head out past sandy bay caravan sites and past Spillane's restaurant on your right. You can't miss it. By the way their were also Grey mullet swimming about in their dozens - some of which were about 5 or 6 lbs est.

Postby Adam S. » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:32 am

Hi

good stuff

This is known as scraggane pier too and the rough ground to the left round towards the back beach is worth a go for wrasse and pollock also.

A guy fishing on danny McCarthys boat had a 5lbs wrasse here a while ago just off the back of the boat while waiting to head out on a charter.

There are some nice mullet there allright
Adam S.

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports