Tralaher - Ballinskelligs Bay July 14th

Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:18 am

Alas I had high hopes of a bass on this night session but ended up with a heap of tiny congers. There was a small if not steady surf on the beach and I was fishing full sandeel on both rods and whilst I got plenty of bites they turned out to be all eels.

Its funny watching a Donegal man respond to a bite on a Kerry bass beach, a mixture of panic and delerium and a good deal of scrambling and falling ensues and this is before I even got to the rod. Fell over in the shingle and half killed myself getting to the rod and this was to wind in what was in fact a tiny conger! Bass are so damn rare in Donegal that even a mere whiff of the beasties ensures pandamonium.

It was good fun though and the night was a beauty, really warm and with no light pollution there were millions of stars. Seen an otter too. Nice place Kerry.

Pete

Re: Tralaher - Ballinskelligs Bay July 14th

Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:46 pm

pete wrote:
Its funny watching a Donegal man respond to a bite on a Kerry bass beach, a mixture of panic and delerium and a good deal of scrambling and falling ensues and this is before I even got to the rod. Fell over in the shingle and half killed myself getting to the rod and this was to wind in what was in fact a tiny conger! Bass are so damn rare in Donegal that even a mere whiff of the beasties ensures pandamonium.

I can just picture ye! :D Very funny indeed - I know I'd be the exact same!

Pete if you're after bass, I'm hearing from my local tackle shop that Benone/Downhill in Co. Derry is producing.

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:41 pm

fished the same beach with neil in november, ask him how much he likes it. never seen a more fed up geordie