Aillroe and Killimer

Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:49 am

As anyone fished at these marks lately? Or any other close bye.

Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:08 am

Havent fished these spots in a while but aillaroe is usually a good spot which is seldom fished the in coming tide is the best time to fish it.

Dogs conger huss ray are the usual species in the summer and autumn and the whiting and odd codling are the main catches during the late autumn and winter but the summer species are caught all year round too the estuary never fishes by the book it could throw up anything............

Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:23 pm

Hi Neilus
Is there a reason why this area is not fished that much then?
There are a few of us coming over to fish this area in October for the Ray and Huss. Hope it will produce for us :wink: .

Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:38 pm

There isnt many serious sea anglers in the west clare region and not many people fish the area only now and again when the local club decides to fish it or a passer by tries it out.

I usually try out an area which is never mentioned in the books or by the locals as during the weekend I had my fly rod with me when camping and decided to follow a small river up stream which is never mentioned by guides or books and the amount of sea trout which are stuck in pools due to the dry weather is unbelievable and I wont mention it as I know the poachers will kill it like the guys who will have no bother in sweeping a bay of ray...................

When are you going to be in the area as I might join ye for an evening fishing as I know a few good marks which are definately going to produce some fish.

Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:14 am

I remember talking to one guy while mackerel fishing about a location which I caught ray from on the upper estuary and when he left one of the locals told me he was a local dodgy comercial fishermen I found out a week later that there was a huge catch of ray and bass caught locally by a comercial fisherman in the bay he went in with his boat and swept the bay clean.................

:(

Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:06 pm

When are you going to be in the area as I might join ye for an evening fishing as I know a few good marks which are definately going to produce some fish.

Hi Again we will be over on the 13th Oct for that weekend. there are a few members on here who are interested in meeting up with us including Frodo, Ross and Donagh, you would be more than welcome to meet up also, it would be great to meet the local's. If a good number of you can arrange to get together at the same time we could probabley have a friendly match against you. Or all fish for an heaviest fish match, all competing against each other. There will be about 10 of us, of which about 8 would be up for a match :lol:
Our bunch are very friendly with plenty of good banter and piss taking flying around :twisted: .
We are going to be targeting Ray and Huss at Labasheeda mainly, unless we are advised of better marks for these species.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:23 pm

Hi Wayne,

I'm sure the clare boys will be able to point you in the right direction as to wheres fishing well closer to when you come over. There no point now as fishing will have changed. Aillroe might be a bit tight for all of us with no room to fish on a spring high tide. If your up for fishing the Thursday night Kildysert pier would be good spot will the small tide differential. We can work out closer to the time what plans to make.

If it calms your nerves any we're getting ray regularly on the shores directly opposite labasheeda and autumn is supposed to be the best time for the marks your planning to fish.

Best of luck
Donagh

Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:19 am

There are better marks than Leabasheeda and they are much cleaner and easier to fish being a local i havent caught much from that mark only one whiting and any of the local anglers who fished it didnt do well either but it all depends on the day,

A match against ye would be good fun so im on for it I know a few more who will be interested in it and it will be an even match the same amount of us against the same amount of ye.

Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:24 pm

All sounds good lads, we will set something up sooner to the date.

We should get there by about 10.00am/11.00am on the thursday morning.