An Corraun, Co Mayo 6.7.2005 / 10.7.2005

Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:03 am

People: Me on my tod (people digging their gardens for chrissakes!)

Duration: 4 hours, from 7 pm to 11 pm

Tide: HW 7 pm, big tide not sure of the size, sea was quite lumpy

Weather: strong NW force 5-6, gusting, occassional drizzle, damn cold!

Bait: Mackerel, sandeel, squid (all frozen)

Rigs: 3 clipped down 2/0s, pulley rig with 6/0 close in,

Results: Not a fin!

Report: Banged a 3 hook clipped down rig out about 100 yards, got the boat rod out and chucked a mackerel head or a 6/0 out about 4/0 yards and in between went spinning with leadheads, jellywords, shads, german sprats.

In four hours I can tell you I did not get even a crab. Unbelieveable. The water was a nasty mucky colour (which I presumed was the sand offshore being stirred up) and there was a fair amount of seaweed coming ashore but in all my time here I have never blanked here in July on three rods!!!

I had been up the Atlantic drive in Achill but it was too rough, seriously dangerous if spectacular breakers coming in and looked at Cloughmore Harbour, but it was emptying very rapidly and it has been poor recently.

Spent most of the time back at An Corraun, near the flat rocks used for competitions. Changed bait every ten to fifteen minutes, need not have bothered as it came back in exactly the same condition as it went out.

Seriously depressing... wonder if this red tide thing has had some impact?

Should have gone and dug the garden obviously! :shock:

POSTSCRIPT:

JAKES won the open competition run on Sunday 10th July with six thornbacks, four counting. 18 thornbacks taken by around 12 anglers, all suffering from the extreme heat. Nothing else taken given the sunshine.

Nice makcerel (plenitful) taken off the far side at the old Head near Louisburgh by lads spinning off the shore that morning. Roonagh Pier has not produced a single fish in weeks by all accounts and there were no mackerel in the Killary Harbour on sunday, from a small boat report.
Last edited by kieran on Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Red tide thing???

Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:36 pm

Hello Kieran,

What's this red tide thing you are talking about??

Regards,
John D

red tide

Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:05 pm

Hi John D

There is another recent thread on it - it is a toxic marine alglal bloom that appears irregularly and naturally in the summer months - causes lots of problems to the shellfish farmers and can impact on fish stocks as well...

I'm not knowledgeable on it, here is a marine institute map - what we need is a decent storm to wash all this stuff away...

http://www.marine.ie/industry+services/ ... 4-2005.gif

FWIW

Cheers Kieran

Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:29 pm

Thanks Kieran,

I will take a look at that link.

Regards,
John D