poulnasherry

Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:58 am

fished poulnasherry last sat and sun over low tide had six ray over two days fishing best 7lbs there was alot of weed when the tide picked up . mackerel is the bait as fresh as possible. I went fishing for wrasse off black head on fri, had about 60 between my son and i the best was 4.5lbs all taken on rag. all went back alive. sat evening we went extreme fishing for mackerel to dunleaky castle outside kilkee. fishing off a cliff 100ft up with a force 6 trying blow you off, man iwas chopping straws with me arse. however got about 20 but it was hardwork I dont think i would fish this place again.

Duration:

Tide:

Weather:

Bait:

Rigs:

Results:

Report:

Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:45 pm

Don't know how true it is but I was told that a German woman fell off the cliff at Dunlicky Castle last year. Of course major panic ensued with all emergency services been called. She swam around the side and climbed out herself unharmed.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:57 pm

We fished Dunlickey Sunday morning and the wind was howling. I didn't get to close to the edge in case I was blown off. I was getting nothing until Neilus suggested using 10 oz leads to conteract the wind. Eoin Noonan was in poulnashary the week before and got a few ray and his brother hooked to something big close in that broke his line probably a sting ray.

Donagh

Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:18 pm

Yah the heavy weights always work there as your literaly just casting around 20 yds out over the cliff and the fish tend to be in close during the rough weather there and at the bridges of ross.

So my advise would to lob the trace out with the heavy leads like off a boat not CAST as I know some one saw me using two 5 oz leads on a mackerel trace before off the cliffs and deceded to do the same and little did he realise there is a big difference between using a shimano tld 15/30 and 40 lbs line with a 80 lbs shock leader attached to an old conoflex tournament rod/ and he was using a kenly popular beach caster combined with a pike reel 50 lbs line etc well you should have seen the look on his face when the rod snapped in two casting out and when he discovered he had a few fish he cheered up next thing the reel buckeled and snaped off the reel seat i just fished away like nothing happend and kept a straight face.

A week later I broke a rod trying to take it apart and my tripod fell over in the promenade in Leahinch causing my 6500 ct mag elite to get buckled from the fall actually I saw the funny side of it s*** happens.

Any other stories of broken rods reels ?

broken rods/reels

Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:56 am

I was on the pier on monkstown during the winter fishing the beachcaster off out into the channel and with a nice daiwa spinning rod float fishing beside the pier legs close in.
It was getting dark and I couldn't be bother looking after two rods so I tackled down the spinning rod and laid it down on the ground against the pier railings (can you tell where this is going?)

About ten minutes later there was a crunch as I walked on the spinning rod. Cursing, I picked it up and I had mangled the top half totally to s***. I took it apart and picked up the bottom half, thinking maybe I could take that into the shop and see if I could get a replacement top half.

Having learned my lesson, I laid the bottom half carefully against the railings, not on the ground as before, and went back to the beachcaster.

Five minutes later the surviving half of the spinning rod keeled over of its own accord, rolled off the pier and floated on up Cork harbour.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:14 am

You think the story of the Women is bad try unhooking a Cow!!! That's right a Cow!!, I was fishing there about 5 years ago and as usual getting loads of macko and half falling off as you wind up when next of all I hook what I initially thought was the bottom but when I looked over the edge I was shocked to see a dead cow floating by that had taken my lower hakai in his side :shock: It was one of the strangest things I have seen floating in the Sea, with the excpetion of some of the sanitary items which regularly pop up on the shockleader knots of a lot of East coast Anglers!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:50 am

ya, i remember years ago there used to be a herd of goats that lived up around dunlickey, and on a number of occasions i saw the odd one bobbing around at the base of the cliffs.......they're all gone now, i dunno if they all fell off eventually, or if the locals shot them all to protect the precious supply of grass for their award winning cattle(i think the politically correct term is culling!)

Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:25 am

Frodo,
The Feral Goats are protected and apart from fishing I am involved in their protection! Let me know if you or anyone sees "culling".
There is a herd at Tulllig and another at Rehy. The Dunlickey herd is decimated. Some smart arse was shooting the herd from the cliffs at Rehy last year. Another feral goat was trapped high on a ledge at Rehy last Summer and was emaciated. It probably got into that position from being shot at. The locals brought out a vet in a boat to examine the possibility of shooting it with a dart, to have it drop in the sea and save it,but on seeing the boat in very close it scrambled up the cliff like a fly! It probably thought it was going to meet the same fate as its mates!

On a funny note at Kilbaha many years ago when the local farmers fished for mackerel with handlines, mackerel spinners and banana shaped leads weighing anything up to a 1lb, I saw a cocker spaniel get a mackerel spinner caught in it's ear as the farmer "pendulum cast" for the mackerel! The poor dog ran off across the rocks only to be reeled in, and cool as a breeze a penknife was produced! I will leave the rest to your imagination! The dog belonged to the local priest and survived!