South Beach Greystones - Friday 3rd June

Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:20 pm

People:
Meself and my regular fishing buddy Tony.

Duration:
9.00pm to 12.30am

Tide:
High Tide 10.30pm (3.2 metres)

Weather:
Lovely evening, lots of light, no need for artificial light until around 11pm. Calm weather gave way to gentle NE breeze - sea remained calm.

Bait:
Peeler Crab, Sandeel, Mackerel, Squid - No Worm (left it too late to get some)

Rigs:
Straightforward 2-up Paternosters, 15lb mono main line, 60lb x 5 metres shock leader, Rig body - 60lb mono, 20lb amnesia snoods, Hooks - size 1/0 Aberdeens and 5oz grip leads

Tony fished a lighter setup for close-in fishing, carp-rod and spinning reel with 2- up P/n's again but no leader and small home made leads around 1.5oz or so.

Results:
4 doggies, 3 small whiting & 1 tiddler of a codling

(3 doggies to the lighter tackle)

Report:
Lovely evening for fishing. We initially hoped for flatties but when we couldn't get any worm bait we just targetted doggies and anything else that might be biting. All the doggies went for the mackerel on bottom hook as expected. Small whiting took squid from the top hook and and the little codling (at least I think that's what it was- it had the eyes, the gob and the barbel) took the sandeel also from the top hook. Doggies were taken on the shorter casts (20m - 50m), other fish all taken on longer casts (70+m). All fish were returned alive although one of the doggies needed a couple of attempts before flicking it's tail and darting off.

Spotted another group fishing further up near the golf course (that you Gitboy ?!) Looked like a serious expedition (beach buddies and all) so we decided not to interfere. :)
Last edited by soc on Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:42 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Were you fishing Saturday? I also seen the guys with the buddies. I was fishing by the river.

Kev

Greystones last weekend

Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:39 pm

Hi Kev,

Nope. I was only there on the Friday evening. Could have been a fishing trip from across the water I suppose ? I also spotted some lads spinning down by the steps to the bathing area behind the La Touche hotel. Looked like a nice spot for bass later in the season perhaps.

We decided to hit the south beach after reading Chris's (Gitboy) last report. Normally fished pier or Nth. beach and keep away from 'young folk' that congregate on Sth Beach. It still seems to be fishing fairly well although fish are v. small. Early days I suppose.

Soc.