Mackeral, sandeel, squid

Rigs:

2 hook flappers

Results:

Not a bite.

Report:

Got sunburnt...

Tue May 31, 2005 10:35 pm

Mate, Do ya never head the other Direction, Maybe to one of the Strands around Portrush, Ramore Head, The Blue Pool, Portrush Harbour, etc etc
Surely to god they're starting to produce now??

Tue May 31, 2005 10:39 pm

Never.

I don't know of any marks in the North apart from Benone and any time Ive been up there talking to people (I've never fished it) everyone is blanking.

The only reason I always fish Donegal is because I am so familiar with the coastline, especially around Inishowen.

Tue May 31, 2005 10:44 pm

Ahhh, Nice part of the world up there...

Tue May 31, 2005 11:45 pm

Hey Shamrock....was it you that left that bloody table thingy at the end of the pier!

Inch Pier is a poor mark. Only ever managed to catch a few mackeral off there. Fine if you live close by like me for a wee cast at bedtime or before going to work. You will usually be tortured by them Derry wans diving or cycling (I kid you not) off the end of the pier in thier wetsuits. OOPS sorry Shamrock!!

Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:49 am

Give Dunree a shout Shamrock, Head to the right hand side of the bay and fish off the rocky point back in towards the bay. This is a super mark, fishing on to relatively clean ground, produces various flatties, dogs, coalfish and the odd pollack and grey gurnard. I find mackerel and squid cocktails work best here. Fish the other side of the point towards the ocean for pollack, conger, mackerel, rockling and wrasse. Give it a lash, you wont be disappointed.

Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:07 pm

Ha ha, it wasn't me wully! It was there before I landed. As I was coming down the road I thought it was an oul bench - fishing made easy! I think it's off one of the small trawlers actually. It looks like one of the tables used for gutting fish or sorting prawns. We used to have them on the boat I worked on out of Killybegs and Greencastle.

And yes I was tortured with wains diving in off the pier towards the end of the session - but they were locals! :wink:

Cheers for the advise petekd. I remember reading one of your reports from there recently and I've earmarked it for the next few weeks if I get a chance.

weird things in the water

Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:14 pm

Speaking of furniture....

I was fishing off the pier in Ballycotton last week and a dining room chair floated past me... followed by a dead conger about 15lbs in weight.

Either a trawler was cleaning out its rubbish by lobbing it over the side or that conger had a serious domestic with the missus...