sutton golf club - sunday

Mon May 30, 2005 12:07 pm

People: the mighty swords fish and I

Duration: 4pm - 6:20pm

Tide: hw at 5:50pm

Weather: the olny good thing !!

Bait: mackerel - fresh & frozen, and one unlucky cockle to be dragged ashore

Rigs: 3 hook flappers & pulley rig (my fav)

Results: didley squat

Report: not so much as a nibble - hauled in over 20 crabs between us :evil: I suspect we need more distance in our casting at this spot me thinks :?

sutton golf club

Mon May 30, 2005 2:10 pm

How do you get to the beach at sutton golf club

way to beach

Mon May 30, 2005 3:32 pm

I just spotted the easy way recently, I didn't want to park in the golf club and get moved on by the 'members' :wink: so I parked at the entrance to golf club. There's a little track off to the left before you get into the club grounds and just follow that for a few minutes, wear waders though as if approaching 1 hr before HW you need to walk through 1-2 ft depth water. I'd say the very end point on the channel should be avoided for spring tides though as I've see the water cover all the sand there and go right up to the rocks.

sutton golf club

Mon May 30, 2005 4:22 pm

I Lived here up unti a couple of years ago & i think that they works have ruined this mark. i dont think that high water is the time to fish it the middle of each tide has proved most productive for me as it seems the fish start to enter the estuary on the flood about 2 hrs after dead low and start to leave about 1-2 hours after the high. i've never taken anything within an hour to 1.5 hours of the high.
as for its productivity, its dropped way off since those works began, but i havent fished it since they've finished. to me it doesnt seem worth trying given all the other quality marks within 10-15 mins drive.
that said you always see birds hammering bait in the estuary iin summer & autumn

Re: sutton golf club

Mon May 30, 2005 4:43 pm

cheers for the info keozer

keozer wrote: to me it doesnt seem worth trying given all the other quality marks within 10-15 mins drive.

apart from howth what other quality marks are within 10-15 mins drive?

cheers

10-15 mins

Tue May 31, 2005 11:12 am

depending on what you're after you can have a pick of the beach in portmarnock, rocks between portmarnock & malahide, malahide estuary, red rock, a load of howth harbour & head marks & dollymount. also there's portrane & rogerstown but these are a bit further. that said since i posted yesterday i've been thinking that it might be worth heading to the back of sutton gc for a couple of hours given the tide conditions this week & then heading up to malahide for the dead low.

Tue May 31, 2005 11:13 am

that was me

Re: 10-15 mins

Tue May 31, 2005 11:43 am

Anonymous wrote: then heading up to malahide for the dead low.

tried it last night, saw a good few fish just as the sun hit the horizon but there were also two seals there. The fish seemed to hang around on the surface so I guess there were Mullet? Will sea trout do that??

Low Tide

Tue May 31, 2005 12:20 pm

What can you expect to catch in Malahide at low tide

Tue May 31, 2005 4:31 pm

they sound like mullet to me

low tide at malahide seems the best time for sea trout, maybe the odd bass

Tue May 31, 2005 10:55 pm

Wheres the best spot in Malahide for sea trout at low tide