rathmullen pier

Fri May 27, 2005 8:57 pm

this is not a fishing report, but i just had to tell someone...... was at pier 8.30 am and seen a shoal of mullet around steps, maybe 20 fish, no exaggerating when i say smallest was over 4lb! surprised at size of fish and earliness of season. will definately be back when this bloody weather sorts itself out, with me rubbby dubby bag and tackle in tow i'll show them elusive mullet. p.s you would have thought it was mid february, it was freezin!

Sun May 29, 2005 2:33 pm

Can you still fish off the pier now with the ferry to and from Buncrana?
Ocassionally fish off Buncrana Pier but unsure of access now. Inch Pier is useless except at 6.00 in the morning because off "muckers" diving off the end and jet skis whizzing about. Any sign of the mackeral in the Swilly yet?

Sun May 29, 2005 6:55 pm

the ferry docks at the slip: well away from pier head so you can fish comfortably. i went down 6.a.m til 12 noon today had one small conger and one dogfish. casting out into channel was a problem as lots of weed and the usual strong tide meant i couldnt hold bottom with 6 oz grap. dunno if small tides later in week would be better? no mackerel for me but skipper of charter boat 'ENTERPRISE' said they are in the lough alright, so probably any day now. had the usual exasparating time not catchin mullet at high water..... wouldnt look at bread or mackerel flesh, they were shoalin around me line and you could feel them brushin against me line. i reckon they must feed sometime and i aint giving up yet.

Mon May 30, 2005 12:10 pm

Don't give up yet booner. I have heard that in some cases it can take them a little while to turn onto the bread as it is not a usual food source. Make sure you get some bread in there often. Even if you are not fishing pop down to the pier and get some bread in for a few days. Hopefully when you return they will take the offerings on the hook.

Kevin

Tue May 31, 2005 11:50 pm

Booner, I'll race you, first to catch a shore caught mackeral in the Swilly! No prizes, just bragging rights till next year!!

Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:02 pm

Can I enter the race? :wink:

Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:21 pm

Irish_Shamrock wrote:Can I enter the race? :wink:

What'ye think Booner? :?

Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:53 pm

yep no probs, i would say that first person to give pier a shot now will take the money easy, i cant see me gettin down now cos i,m off to kerry fishin next week and my next stop will be teelin to take some mac down with me, i know this is a dangerous thing to say but i know they will be there!!! p.s fella got one yesterday, so he's won if he has the sense to be part of a brilliant website?????