Teelin, Donegal - 22/05/05

Sun May 22, 2005 11:28 pm

People:

Myself, a friend, me Da and one of his friends.

Duration:

Midday til 6pm

Tide:

High tide 5pm-ish...

Weather:

Beautiful - sunny and calm.

Bait:

Ragworm and mackeral

Rigs:

Single hook bomber rigs, 2 hook flappers and mackeral feathers.

Results:

A wee pollack, a wee conger and a whole heap of mackeral and wrasse. And my first ever starfish! :D

Report:

First time fishing this mark. Landed at midday amid torrential rain which thankfully didn't last long. Ten minutes later the sun was out and stayed out for the rest of the day.

Fished the rocks just behind the pier. It was really a wrasse a cast with the ragworm, not massive fish but god craic. Average about 1.5/2 lbs. The mackeral produced nothing apart from the smallest conger I've ever seen.

Seen loads of cormorants and seagulls diving into the water at one stage so we decided to get the mackeral feathers out. Basically a full house every cast - haven't seen so many mackeral in one place in a long time. Fellas on up a bit from us were filling cooler boxes of them. We just kept a couple for the BBQ. Feckin lovely they were...

Fishing dried up after high water so we headed on. Met some crazy local at the pier who was having difficulty removing his wetsuit - we gave him a hand to slip out of it. Turned out he had just got some kind of diving qualification on Friday - but he can't swim... good oul craic though - he was a bit of a character.

Took a wee drive up to Sliabh Liag (and Europe's highest sea-cliffs) on the way home. Breathtaking. Donegal is a fantastic place.

Telieen

Tue May 24, 2005 11:22 am

How long did it take you to get there from Derry

Wed May 25, 2005 12:10 am

Bout an hour and 3 quarters...

We left shortly after ten and were there for midday.