Wicklow Pier

Sun May 15, 2005 12:48 pm

this morning low tide 10-12.30 6 dogfish, threw them all back, can you eat them ?? :D

Mon May 16, 2005 1:54 am

Yes you can eat them . They used to be sold in chip shops as "rock salmon" . This descripton is now illegal .Haven't seen the fish on sale under any name for ages . Maybe the thought of eating little doggies put everybody off .
Cheers
nick

Mon May 16, 2005 9:08 am

Involves alot of work. Don't bother just throw them back in to catch another day

here doggies

Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:09 am

i wouldnt recomend eating them. i believe they dont taste great and are too much hassle. let them swim off for another day. ive fished wicklow pier for a while and never caught a dog. this may seem strange but i would like to catch some from here. could you please help!which pier were u fishig where abouts on it and how far were u casting. any help is appreciated. thanks

Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:21 pm

Hi
I was on the pier on the right (past the lifeboat) down the very end and using mackeral strips on a 1/0 hook and lashing it out as far as I could. I hear if I use worms its better for edible fish but I bought a box :x and the little f*****s kept biting me so I sticked with bait that doesnt bite back,
regards
Paul

Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:02 pm

To Average Joe:

Fish baits with a preference for sandeel will get you dogs off wicklow pier without fail. I've found low tide in darkness is best.

Freddy:
The fish off wicklow pier are in general quite small but you will get pollack and coaly to over the 1lb if you persevere with rag. Smaller flasher feathers jigged over the side by the white bars also a deadly if boring technique of getting them. A high tide at dusk is deadly for them but they can come quite high up in the water breaking the surface at times. One other thing is why are you casting as far as you can when your in deep water already. The fish hug the wall of the pier as they have to pass around it to get up the estuary.

Donagh

doggys...

Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:24 pm

:D any tips r tricks to avoid them...? sick of it