no more blanks!!

Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:14 pm

I have been struck with something called "cantcatchshit". But i managed to heal myself and today a caught my first fish since December.

The fishes caught? Gar (belone belone)
didn't get many, but for not striking out any more i am very satisfied with for of them.

[img]http://fiskeforum.se/grafik/pose.jpg[/img]

Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:19 pm

nice fish well done :wink:

Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:23 pm

doesnt these fish swim past Ireland? havent heard anyone mention Gar or belone belone

Belone Belone

Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:10 pm

Plenty around during the summer down Cork way. No offense but they wouldn't be a fish that one would target, except for species competitions. Smelly scaly critters with green bones! Still I'd take anything to break a run since December!

Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:46 pm

Here in Malmö where i am located we have a GAR competition each year.
The biggest and the most caught.

Eating gar, it don't taste bad, the greenish bones make it easy to find the little buggers. I going to fry some up and see if i can get my kid to eat gar, so far she loves salmon and cod. If i can get her to eat Gar as well I'm happy.

regarding smell, hmm yeah they do smell fishy ;) and the scales are easily removed by using a pair of pliers get a good grip on the beak or in the geels, have a towel (kithcen towel or some rag you don't care much for) grab the fish firmly with the rag around the fish's head, pull down along the full length of the body and tadaaaa 80% of the scales are removed, do this twice and you have a scale free gar ready for cleaning.

PS. do this after you have whacked the fish please ;)

Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:56 am

fogelberg wrote:doesnt these fish swim past Ireland? havent heard anyone mention Gar or belone belone

Caught a monster last october, only I didn't know it was a big one until i looked up the specimen weight, ah well.