dunmore east /flat rocks

Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:50 pm

Fished the flat rocks / Dunmore 6/7/04. High tide was forcast for 21.00 - fished from 17.30 till 22.00. The evening was calm and warm with little wind and no swell in the sea.

Used a single hook 4/0 pulley baited with fresh mackeral and frozen peeler. While dodging the many mackeral traces flying about all over the place, managed to haul in 9 LSDs and 1 small pouting - all returned. Much better sport than the trip to courtown a couple of days ago.

[b]Farnastokie?????[/b]14/07/2004

Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:20 pm

Venue Farnastockie rock mark in Parish Ring on the seaward side of Helvic head. I am not sure of the spelling buts that how its pronouced.
Well after a six week absence I finally got fishing again and hit farnastockie rock with 2 mates on the 14/07/2004. Fished from 12 to 2.30pm, full tide at 4.30pm ish.
Well the weather looked good starting out but deterioted with a strong Southwesterly and mist.
We bottom fished with mackeral, crab & sandeel, float fished with sandeel and spun to little avail. I had one bite and it turned out to be an octopus, laugh as you may it was a first for me, about the size of football and bright orange.
Anyway we gave up and went to Helvic pier with is partly closed off due to safety concerns and wish we hadn't. 2hrs and we all blanked.
The farnastockie rock mark is not for the faint hearted as its a bit of climb down with the rock getting cut off over full tide. It got good access to deep water but not the place to go without companions.

dunmore east /flat rocks

Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:37 pm

spur of the moment decision to go fishing yesterday - sat 25 sept. I had'nt been out since early June and made almost no preperation for the off the cuff trip. Indeed although there was plenty of mackerel caught in this area in recent weeks I bought a packet of frozen mackerel for the trip to Dumore and only had a few pulley rigs left in the rig wallet as i had'nt replaced any rigs during the whole year.

High tide was at 15.30 and fished from 13.30 till 16.30. There were a few already on the rock marks fishing for mackerel but i still managed to get the favoured 'mark 5'. Fishing was slow untill the tide turned and caught just one dogfish. A fella beside me caught around 12 mackerel - gutted and headed them and just left the remains on the rock for us all to smell!

my little fella - in his youthful wisdom put the heads and guts into the bait bucket and threw them into the sea below our rock mark as ground bait - and sure enough within fifteen minutes we pulled up a nice 22lb conger. not bad for an ill prepared trip.

Dunmore East rocks, Thursday 7th October 2004

Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:06 pm

Dunmore East rocks, Thursday 7th October Sunny, high tide down 1-4 pm

Fished here as there was no surf on any of the beaches and we had come down to Waterford expressly for a bass! Found one man spinning at the mouth of the Saleens channel in Tramore with a muppet boomed off a four oz lead. An optimist.

Fished from No 5 as usual. Had three small Ballen Wrasse close in and a new species for this mark, a shorthorn sculpin. Little bugger manager to cram the ragworm and mackerel bait on a 3/0 hook all the way down. Brother added a tiny pouting to the list of species and another lad got a very strong run off what I presume was a conger but lost it to a breakage in amongst the rocks.

Not a smell of a flatfish all the session.... and no codling either!