Bailey + Shannon

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:14 am

Fished the Bailey on Saturday morning with m.b3 - nothing to show but 1 small codling for me and a whiting for Mark.

Then drove to the Shannon on Sunday in search of fish - didn't find any though! The only signs of life were the crabs. Fished three marks - Labasheeda, Cappagh Head and Poulnasherry Bay. The water was really cloudy though and I think the fish got lost!

Too early me thinks!

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:30 pm

Let me know before the next time your on your way down and ill try to put you in the right direction as some places fish better earlier on in the year than others the closer you go towards loop head the better the fishing and the rock fishing is going well at the moment around the bridges of ross even some ling up to 7lbs are being caught from the shore along with pollock wrasse dogs huss conger and even some mackerel are turning up early.

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:46 pm

Thanks Neilus - you've made me feel much better now. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I think I'll wait a while until the fish are there for sure and see if I can catch one of those funny diamond shaped fish with the spikes on its back.

I give you a shout for sure!

Thanks,

Ian

Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:01 pm

I've never heard of cappagh head where is it?
The tide must of been massive in poulnasharry yeaterday. Where along did you fish it?

I fished glin myself yesterday and there was plenty of silt on the rocks and weed in the water. The shannon was given a right stir during the week. The doggies were biting in force so I'm suprised you didn't get a few. I did say the mb3 that it was a bit early and to head out further loop head if you wanted ray.

Donagh

Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:27 pm

Cappagh head is to the left of Cappagh Beach which is to the left of Cappagh Pier.

Poulnasherry was flowing fast alright and the 6oz grips were struggling to hold. We went down to the right as far as you can go on the track down to the dead end. Opposite the pinky coloured pub - which did look very tempting!

I think we'll just put it down to experience (a bad one) and file it somehwere in a dark recess of my mind.

A doggie would have been more than welcome by the end of the day!

Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:49 pm

Cappagh head is what I call aylvaroo point. I don't remember a pub beside the mark thats normally fished.

Donagh

Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:15 pm

We were fishing a little blind as to marks. We asked a chap for directions to Poulnasherry Bay and that's where we ended up. I'll post a photo later, see if you recognize it.

Have you ever caught anything from aylvaroo point?

Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:30 pm

I've only fished there a few times in competitions and I only got dogs. Talking to the lads its good old spot from may onwards. Depending where you fish you'll get straps, huss, dogs and at one point ray. A couple a years back there was a 55lb sting ray pulled in a competition there.

Donagh

Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:47 pm

would have given u a shout beforehand Donagh but i was sick during the week. everything left to the last minute. didn't even think i'd be able to go at one stage.

Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:48 am

It was a yellow pub, not pink - Ohh how my memory fails me!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/idpearl/DSC01868.jpg[/img]

Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:13 am

Sounds and looks like the right place. I thought you meant the pub was on the same bank as you were fishing.
Donagh

Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:08 am

If it was, I think we would have gone there to drown our sorrows at the miserable blank we were having!