Howth

Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:54 am

Saturday 5th Feb. Fished: 10am - 5pm
Bait: Rag / Sandeel
[i]

Great day for it, sun shining, no rain, no wind, just cold but great otherwise. Tide was heading out when we arrived, i think high tide was about 7:30am 'ish. Just had rag and sandeel, although its been a few weeks since ive been out, so bait or no bait, I was going!
Got to the spot and started, three of us there, first hour or so and managed nothing, from then on we started hitting. First 2 or 3 were codling, then my mate got it, the biggest Cod ive seen in quite a while, Ive attached the photo below, taken by an unsteady hand and a cam phone, my apologies. We couldnt believe it, he was just using sandeels on a 2 hook pater with booby beads. Forgot to bring a weighing scales, so would anyone like to hazard a guess? By the way, the guy holding it is 6'4". Forgot to mention, it ended up we had a total of 18 codling and that monster.....oh, and a crab.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/wplb/05-02-05.jpg[/img]

Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:05 am

Wow I'm jealous. Now I've never been much good at guessing weight but I'd say that fish is damn near 57lb. :)

Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:08 am

I'd guess around 3lb plus, but that may be conservative 'cos I'm jealous!

Congrats guys. And to think I had to go all the way to Monkstown to avoid another blank!!!